false ceiling joists on bottom of RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A previous owner of my ground floor flat removed an internal wall between two rooms and replaced it with an RSJ directly supporting the joists above.

I am planning to install a false ceiling to cut down on the noise from my upstairs neighbour.

It seems feasible to me to rest one end of the new ceiling joists - which will only be supporting the new double plasterboard ceiling, not the floor above - on the bottom "lip" of the RSJ. I would also put noggins in between them along the line of the RSJ.

Is this crazy or acceptable?

Any advice gratefully received.

PS I wasn't sure where to post this on the forum as I couldn't find a ceiling section. Sorry if it's in the wrong place!

Sponsored Links
which will only be supporting the new double plasterboard ceiling, not the floor above?
So what is supporting the floor above?
it is not crazy, generally RSJs are over engineered. But a structural engineer would/should have done the calcs, they would be the best to approach, regarding loading.

which will only be supporting the new double plasterboard ceiling, not the floor above?
So what is supporting the floor above?
it is not crazy, generally RSJs are over engineered. But a structural engineer would/should have done the calcs, they would be the best to approach, regarding loading.

The flat top of the RSJ is supporting the floor (and the wall) above. It's an I beam and I was thinking of using the lower lip of the bottom of the I to support the ceiling joists. Sorry if it's not too clear without pics, I'll try and get some.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back