Steel column support for RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of purchasing a new house and already planning modifications! 2 storey 4 bed detached, 1930's brick built.

On the ground floor looking to remove a brick wall and install a RSJ. It's load bearing for the floor although no wall on the 1st floor is directly above. One end of the RSJ will happily sit on a padstone installed in the external wall. However, the other end is a bit tricky. That needs to sit at the junction of 2 doorways bordering the hallway. That tiny brick pillar is not gonna support the load so I'm guessing a steel column will need to be put in place to hold the RSJ up. Anyone know much about this? Seen some adjustable types that look like permanent acro props.

Of course I will consult with a structural engineer and buildings officer near the time - just after some thoughts

Sponsored Links
If it's ending up between two doors, surely one of the doors will be blocked up and extending the blockwork up to the adjacent (remaining) door frame would suffice to support the beam?

Woody - I suppose the bricks might support the load - just seems a bit procarious - a 8" x 8" corner column either side of a door frame....

Tony - Yes that does seem to be an option, but one I would like to avoid. Both doors come off a nice hallway which looks balanced with both doors. If one is bricked up then it would look like there was meant to be something there..... if you know what I mean?

Sponsored Links
I don't think two single doors will look balanced. More like odd.

Put double doors in then, and span a beam across to support the beam above. It just the beam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back