Supporting walls with acros

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I'm about to join my kitchen with the dining room. I have building regs approval to begin.

I need some help on 2 things:

Where can I get official calcs for the beam size required - I've heard you can get them done for about £80, but the first structural engineer I contacted wanted £500 for a call out :eek: Any advice please ?

Also, the wall I'm removing supports the first floor joists (no wall above) so I'll support it with acros. My question is, how do you know when you've wound the acro up enough so the floor wont sag when you remove the wall, but not too much so you could damage your joints upstairs ? Is it a matter of eel or just take up the slack plus one turn ? Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks ;)

PJ.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the vote of confidence. what I need is some advice regarding my questions. :confused:

Approx £120 round here, the structural engineer will save you money by using the correct minimum size RSJ as needed. A lot of builders has gone over the top with the sizes which is unneccessary. I don't know how confident you're but please ask if you're not sure, the builder inspector will help you as well.

I don't want to see you in the DIY Disaster section. ;)

Sponsored Links
What is the width of the opening? I charge between £300 and £400 for these calculations.

It's not just the amount of time involved (average 5 hours) but you have to consider PI insurance costs. Anybody who under-charges is exposing you to risk as the insurance company will not cover full costs if the charge for the work was not adequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back