Half built dwelling on neighbouring land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved to an old cottage with a few acres last year in a tiny hamlet of 11 properties all of which are Grade II listed as the area is of historical significance. Getting planning to do anything here is very difficult. The piece of land next to mine has a half built single storey structure built several years ago tucked away behind a wall at the back of the plot that we thought was originally being built for storage for hay/animal feed etc. However on closer inspection the building has a cavity wall and is connected to the drains. There has been a lot of interest in this piece of land over the past few weeks with people walking across my land to have a good look at it and in particular the half built structure. One man told me because it's been up 7 years and the planning dept don't know about it it can stay now and be turned into a house?? The whole plot is a mass of brambles and completely overgrown now. I can't get the land owner to speak to me but it appears he may have it up for sale and it's attracting the interest of some pretty undesirable people. Any advice on what I should do. Should I bring it to the attention of the planning office that the structure is there?

Sponsored Links
can't do any harm to tell them.
the longer it's up the harder it will be to enforce, but doesn't a building have to be finished before the timing starts?

It's actually 4 years for a building to be used as a dwelling, but of course it has to be used so cannot apply unless/until the building is complete and occupied.
But there is little that can be done under planning law to compel someone to complete a building. Maybe if it's derelict land, the councils' environmental dept could do something?

I seem to recall some case law is respect of something like this. Nice try, though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back