Hall Lighting - two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have really messed up, i'm so confused I don't know what my name is or where I live..............Here goes.

I have a double swith both downstairs and up stairs, the downstairs switch has 3 cables going to it, all red, black and earth. I think one is the Live as this has the only current going to it and I guess the other two are for the lights, where should all these go in the back of a two gang switch?

Up stairs there is another two gang switch, behind the switch I have coming from I think downstairs 1 red which I think is the live, 2 yellow, 2 blue and 2 red. I also have coming from above 2 red, I cant see what cables all these are coming from. After 10 hours of trying to work out what goes where i'm stumped. yesterday I had a combination where all the bedroom lights were going off when I switch off the hall lights.

What goes where? common, L1, L2

Or should I get an experienced electrician?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Try the reference section of this forum, there are some great diagrams for two way switching that should help. Whatever you do, turn the leccy off !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back