Halogen GU10 - replace with LED....How much ! £££'s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im doing our first house out, and most of the rooms have recessed downloighters using GU10's 50w mains.

Already two have gone (Philips bulbs) and saw some LED ones in B&Q last night for £10 for two.....but have since found out they dont throw much light out.

However I found some 5w LED lights that are 50w equivalent however cost £32 each!! Does anyone have any experience of using these bulbs and are they worth it?

Thanks
Demetri

Sponsored Links
Have just used 12x 3W Luxeon GU10 LED's as 1.8W GU10 LED's were rubbish but 3W give better concentrated light. Downlighters spread at 600 centres. Wholesalers offering me 7W LED's at over £50 each! but settled on 3W at about £13 each. Quoted 50,000 hours life so client wont have to change bulb for 30plus years if used at 4 hours a day.

Clients well happy with them in their kitchen and always knows that if they want more light they can swap a few GU10's LED's for GU10 halogens. Now booked to fix more bathroom; office and utility room.

LED's have got to be the way to go - no nasty warm up period that you get with so many CFL GU10's - although once warm have to admit they give off a great light.

Hi all

Thanks for the responses so far. I could look for 3w LED's but I am not sure these will be bright enough.

CFL lamps will protrude from the light fitting and I dont like the warm up cycle required......

I will try out the 3w ones, and as was pointed out I can mix the use of halogens I suppose although not ideal.

Sponsored Links
With a generally light coloured kitchen the 3W LED's spaced at 600mm centres give a good light. Far better than I was expecting as I warned the client off LED's as they are not bright enough for general lighting in my view. However these have worked well and with under cabinet lights to provide good task lighting over the worktops the whole set up works.

a 5w led bulb replace about 40W lights , it worth a try and yeah ,no warm up period . also Low temperature operation but bright enough for rooms
u should try the 3w too if 5w seems too much

Maybe now but check out the date of the original post I think the decision has already been made;)

Bruceleed - he's done a runner :LOL:

And hopefully the course of action decided on involved recognition that doing up a house you've just bought is an opportunity to renew the ceilings and replace the recessed torches with lighting actually designed to light rooms....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back