halogen spotlight troubles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - can you help?

low voltage halogens

I have 3 row * 3 spots in the kitchen ceiling.
row 1 is controlled by switch1 and row 2 and 3 come on with switch 2.

I had 2 blown bulbs in strip 2 so replaced them, not paying attention to the wattage (stupid I know). I used a 50W bulbs as the replacements and the originals were 20W.

Now all 3 bulbs would not light.
I removed the two 50W and then the single 20W would light OK.

Had some 35W bulbs lying around so tried them. Same story.

Now I then borrowed some working 20W bulbs from elsewhere in the house to check the fittings. They worked OK for my 10 min test period but then the entire stip went out.

Tried these bulbs in strip number 3 and same story.
So I'm left with 2* not working strips and 1 working strip.

Any ideas on my next course of action?

- Should I get the floorboards up and replace the transformers
(i'd get a qualified elctrician to do this)

-replace the bulb carriers?

-see if it is switch 2 that is faulty?

any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Might you have used 240v items on a ELV / 12v system and hence the transformers in the ceiling have died ?

GU lamps come in 240v or 12v form, then theres wattage ranges within the voltage type. That wattage change in a 240v system just increases or decreases the lamp brightness,

On a 12v system if the combined lamp wattage exceeds the transformer output they fail.

One thing to point out is depending on the fitting and how it was installed you might not have to lift the floorboards, it might be possible to retrieve the transformers through the hole in the ceiling if you take the fittings down...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Hmm I hadn't thought about the 240v bulb thing as I thought they had different 'prongs'.

I tried a fitting from another working spot and it's definately not the bulbs or the fitting 'tail'.

I'll try and get to one of the transformers through the hole in the ceiling.

Is there any easy checks I can do on the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back