Dodgy Light with Halogen Bulbs - Expert Advice Needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help me? In my hall, I have a 3 bulb light fitting (halogen bulbs). A bulb went, so I replaced it. So far, so good. Until the other bulbs started going a bit dim, until they completely went out. I took the new bulb out and realised I'd bought a 50w bulb, not a 20w bulb (which I now know to be quite dangerous!). Thought the problem would be solved if I bought 3 new 20w bulbs but all that happens when you switch on the light is they come on very briefly and very dimly, then fade out to nothing immediately. It was quite difficult to fit the bulbs into the springy holder thing, so not sure if the problem lies there too (ie. is there contact being made?) Or have I just knackered my light fitting by putting the wrong bulb in? Any ideas/advice? Thank you - it would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming your light fitting is SELV so you may have over loaded the transformer.

If that's the case you can just replace the transformer. Can you post a photo of the internal part of the fitting base?

Chances are, with a bit of DIY work you can take out the old TX and replace it with a smaller electronic one. There will probably be more to it though - some wirewould TXs form part of the structure of the fitting.

Fiver says the existing is an electronic SMPS already, steve :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Fiver says the existing is an electronic SMPS already, steve :LOL:
If the fitting has a bulky base and was made more than a year ago, in my experience these have wirewould TXs. Only recently have they started fitting SMPSs in these fittings. :(

BTW, I'll give you my address so you can post the cheque :LOL:

Oh dear, I'm a girl who does't understand all the abbreviations I'm afraid! I'm sorry! Tried fiddling the bulbs around again and one came on, then stayed on but made the mistake of using that bulb to test the other two and now I can't get it to work again in any of them! Maybe it's just dodgy connections? The springy holder things are just crap. Am losing my patience with this now! Thank you for your help and suggestions - much appreciated! x

Odd fault. If you put three 20w lamps in, what happens? The transformer is probably only rated to 60 or 65 watts, so putting a 50 watt lamp in would have loaded it to 90 watts.

Even if the Tranformer works with a single lamp, it may well not work fully loaded now, due to it having been overloaded before, and damaged.

Do the lamp connectors have screws on the sides of them? I once had a fitting from IKEA that required to tighten screws onto the two prongs on the lamps.

Thanks Steve - absolutely nothing is happening now when I put 3 20w bulbs in - no screws visible either! Think I may have to call the electrician in now! x

Got a link to the light fitting or lamp type you have bought?

Can you post any pictures here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back