Security light replacement bulbs advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've a 6 year old b&q licina blooma security light which was using halogen bulbs.

I bought some G9 bulbs hoping to replace the old halogen bulbs and went for these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F1P81GZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_frdVFbFFJZSWQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hoping they would brighten up the driveway but after putting them in the bulbs are on but very dim to the point there doing nothing.

I thought maybe they were knackered or dud took 1 of the bulbs out and put the halogen one back in and boom the other side now comes on. If I take the halogen one out the light goes dim again

Any ideas?

The light says 70w max the G9 bulbs are 6W =60W is that the problem?
IMG_20201123_214637.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there a PIR on the fitting?
Edit.
There is, so it would appear the new LED lamps are too low a load for the PIR to switch.

When you replace one halogen lamp, that boosts the load and the LED illuminates fully.

Last edited:
Had same problem with G9 in bedroom, wife found some which looked more like cob bulbs, and the covers will no longer fit, they are massive, but do now work, can't see how they would work out side when covers will no longer fit, in doors the glass covers stop bits of quartz landing on carpet when a bulb explodes which does happen with quartz, and stops some UV rays, but not really required with LED, but outside the glass also stops water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Is there a PIR on the fitting?
Edit.
There is, so it would appear the new LED lamps are too low a load for the PIR to switch.

When you replace one halogen lamp, that boosts the load and the LED illuminates fully.

Bugger so means I can't use leds to save money?

Some security lights like yours require a load of an old bulb to work. Annoying.

Yep I think it might be time for a new light but it's a minefield trying to get a decent outdoor light

So what is your budget?
I'm sure you were expecting this but obviously the cheaper the better under £50.

I bought 2 solar lights to replace the 2 b&q lights last month but can't use 1 of them where the one in the pic is as it doesn't get the sun,and I've backtracked a little as I'm thinking mains will always work would just be nice if they were low energy.

Sometimes you can bypass the sensor on your existing light, fit your led lamps and mount a seperate sensor.
Sometimes if it has a big base you can mount the sensor on that, old Halogen pirs are cheap nowadays and often the pir will screw off and you can fit that.
72498.jpg

Sometimes you can bypass the sensor on your existing light, fit your led lamps and mount a seperate sensor.
Sometimes if it has a big base you can mount the sensor on that, old Halogen pirs are cheap nowadays and often the pir will screw off and you can fit that.
72498.jpg
Tbh the pir isn't great on the current light you can walk halfway up the drive before it switches on.
Screenshot_20201125_221338.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back