Replacing Halogen Bulbs on Security Light

6 Mar 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a Timeguard SLB400G 400W security pir light in the garden. The bulb recently blew and requires replacing.

Is it possible to replace this with a lower watt bulb i.e.120W? 400W gives too much light so was hoping it wouldn't need a direct 400W light replacement.

Sponsored Links
providing you get one the same length, i cant see why not, the pir electronics usually work with any wattage lamp.
I've done this on a few over the years. As 333rocky333 says, just make sure the new one is the same length.
Sponsored Links
Do not touch the lamp with bare fingers, the grease from a clean dry finger will affect and weaken the quartz when the lamp is hot resulting in early failure of the lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local