Outdoor security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
been a lot of house's robbed by my parents lately, anyway and my sisters have all chipped in an bought them a house alarm and a 400w security light.
When i have opened the box for the light the paper instructions are missing, having wired up a 120w security light in my own garden im confident that i can do this job. My only question is, is 1.5mm cable (the cable i used for my 120w light) suitable for the 400w light? and is a 5a fuse ok? or do i need thicker cable and a bigger fuse?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
400/230=1.74a so no, you do not need thicker cable or a bigger fuse.

Somebody will say it, so I'll get it out of the way, 400w floodlights require planning permission (but people still fit them all the time anyway....)

Hi,
been a lot of house's robbed by my parents lately, anyway and my sisters have all chipped in an bought them a house alarm and a 400w security light.
When i have opened the box for the light the paper instructions are missing, having wired up a 120w security light in my own garden im confident that i can do this job. My only question is, is 1.5mm cable (the cable i used for my 120w light) suitable for the 400w light? and is a 5a fuse ok? or do i need thicker cable and a bigger fuse?

Thanks

i hope you mean beside your parents ? and not by you parents !!!!!!!!!!

1.5mm cable is fine and 5a fuse is adequate.

I doubt a security light will deter a thieving basturd!
Big angry dog and a six iron, they are much easier to wire up and don't require planing permission either!

Sponsored Links
hmmm thats intresting, the people behind me have a 400w light (I think) when it gets set off it lights my whole house up! I'll stick with 120w just to be on the safe side, don't really want to be getting my parents in trouble. I was only going for 400w as they have quite a big back garden.

Haha my parent dont rob house's, i dont think my dad could climb through a window if he was helped.

My parents house is a semi, the alarm will be on the gable end and the security light will just basically light up the garden so the can see better, in all trueness it will prob help any robbers by lighting the area up for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back