Security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to put 2 security lights (120W PIRs) on my garage.

My plan is to use a fused spur from a nearby double socket on the main ring which is RCD protected, replacing the fused spur with a 3A (or 5A?) fuse using 2.5mm cable. Then using 1.5mm cable from the spur to each of the lights.

My questions are;
a) does anyone see any problem with this approach?
and
b) what is the best way to wire from the spur to each of the 2 lights, daisy chain or is it possible to use a junction box to split the spur into 2, or some other way?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Quie acceptable way of doing things. 1mm cable would be enough. Either separated or daisy-chained is fine - presumably you want them to work separately rather than together?

PJ

Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciated.

The single fcu switch for both lights (instead of one on each) doesn't bother me, I don't see myself using that very often, since the PIRs will take care of that end of things. I only see the switch being used to isolate the lights from the circuit (since it's the main circuit) or to switch on/off to turn on manual mode, in both of these cases I'm fine with switching both lights at the same time to save a bit of work.

EFLImpudence - is there any reason why I should avoid a junction box? how would you do it, daisy chain them?
By route, the two options are in the images attached (birds eye view - apologies for the poor drawings, did them quickly!). The garage is probably3m^2 would probably be using 8m or so of cable (4m to each light) regardless of method used if that makes any difference.

View media item 49617 View media item 49618

Sponsored Links
Will the cable between the two lights be returning back into the garage of externally fitted?
As EFLI has mentioned avoid external junction box and avoid internal one if possible.
So daisy chain, 1.0mm cable will do, if the cable is externally fit, use appropriate cable for the environment, not T&E unless you are also installing conduit.

Will the cable between the two lights be returning back into the garage of externally fitted?
As EFLI has mentioned avoid external junction box and avoid internal one if possible.
So daisy chain, 1.0mm cable will do, if the cable is externally fit, use appropriate cable for the environment, not T&E unless you are also installing conduit.

All internal cable, light will be mounted on top of the drilled cable hole so exposure to outdoors will be a minimum so was planning on using T&E, although I'll probably still lay conduit inside (and the tiny bit outside) on top of the brick as the sockets cables are surface mounted in conduit, and I think it generally looks better than cable clips.

In terms of daisy chaining; is there anything I need to bear in mind or is it just a case of adding 2 cables to the screw terminals in the first light (one which goes to the spur, one goes to the 2nd light)?

is there any reason why I should avoid a junction box?
Well - more terminals/joints/things to go wrong, I may be wrong but thinking it's outside.
Probably not necessary, anyway.

how would you do it, daisy chain them?
As I said it depends on the route.
Either - daisy chain or two cables from switch.

Edit - oh, a lot has happened since I last looked.

All internal cable, light will be mounted on top of the drilled cable hole so exposure to outdoors will be a minimum so was planning on using T&E, although I'll probably still lay conduit inside (and the tiny bit outside) on top of the brick as the sockets cables are surface mounted in conduit, and I think it generally looks better than cable clips.
If you have not already purchased your security lights, you can buy ones where the cable will enter enclosure, without needing to be external for any of it's route, it does mean drilling a hole directly through wall in to fitting.
They have tilt and pan on both light and sensor.
In terms of daisy chaining; is there anything I need to bear in mind or is it just a case of adding 2 cables to the screw terminals in the first light (one which goes to the spur, one goes to the 2nd light)?
That's about it but looking at your diagram, it would make more sense to take double feed from FCU as in top/first sketch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back