PIR Security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to put either a 500w or a 150w PIR security light outside my garage and was looking for some advice on the instalation.
I was going to run a fused spur for the supply and here are my questions-
1. What size fuse for each size light?
2. Should I run the spur off a particular circuit(light circuit or power curcuit)?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Sponsored Links
A 3A fuse will do for both lights using 1.5mm² cable. You can take the feed from either the lighting or socket circuit so long as it is fused down appropriately.

This work is notifiable unless the cable goes directly through the wall and into the light fitting. Remember that twin and earth is not suitable for outdoor use when it will be subjected to direct sunlight.

Davy

I would run the light from a switched spur on the power.

150W = 0.65A

500W = 2.17A.

But I would use a 3A for the smaller & a 5A for the other.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt reply and useful info
Its on the garage and there is power just on the other side of the wall so a straight forward run the cable in the garage and then through the wall into the light.

Does anyone know roughly how much this job would cost of I got an electrician in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back