Fuse size in switched FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of installing a 150w outside security light. I am putting a 5A JB into the upstairs lighting circuit and running a spur from this to a switched FCU which will feed the outside light. My question is - what size fuse do I need in the FCU? Currently it has a 13A in which I guess is far too big.

TIA

Sponsored Links
davy_owen_88 said:
3A will be fine. I hope the junction box will be accessible?

Thanks. Define accessible? It will be in the loft screwed to a joist. There is no loft boarding in that area of the loft so I would class it as accessible. If the JB was not accessible, does this drop into part P territory?

TIA

In the loft is fine. Part P would not apply regardless of accessibility but BS7671 states that all screwed connections must be accessible, which is not the case, IMO, for JB's underneath floorboards etc.

On the other hand, Part P may apply to the addition of the outdoor light. I believe if the cable enters the fitting directly then it is not notifiable, but if there are exposed cable runs outside then it is...

Sponsored Links
Having a neon indicator in the FCU for the outside light is useful too.

Suggest placing the switch in the downstairs hallway, label it "Outside Lighting", and have it visible from the front door.

davy_owen_88 said:
On the other hand, Part P may apply to the addition of the outdoor light. I believe if the cable enters the fitting directly then it is not notifiable, but if there are exposed cable runs outside then it is...

The cables directly enters the security light from behind. No visible cable anywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back