Cable size on supply side of FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi – I want to spur off my ring main (4mm T&E, protected by 32A MCB) to provide power for an outside security light. I’ll tap into the ring with a 30A junction box, then feed the light via a switched, 3A FCU. I’ll then run a 1.5 mm T&E from the FCU to the light. Total length of spur is about 4 metres.

My question is: what cable size is needed from the JB to the FCU? I think I remember reading, possibly on here, that the cable on the supply side of the FCU must be rated as high as the ring (i.e. 4 mm). Why is this? Surely the cable from the JB to the FCU is also protected by the 3A fuse? I can’t think of a situation where the supply-side cable would carry more current than the load side cable. Or am I missing something fundamental here? Could I not just use 1.5 mm for the entire length of the spur?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I know it's unlikely but suppose somebody was drilling a hole and shorted the cable supplying the FCU then the main fuse would be the protection offered on the cable before the 3amp fuse.

Are you sure the circuit is a ring and not a radial? It would be better to use the same size conductor upto the supply side of the FCU just to be on the safe side.

Actually, there is a set of conditions where the regs will allow a smaller cable between the spur off point and the FCU -let's see if I can find it...

473-01-02 and 473-02-02. It's a bit vague in that meeting 473-02-02 (ii) and (iii) are matters of judgement/opinion - "reduce to a minimum" does not mean "reduce to zero".

So, it seems to me that if one were, for example, to spur off a ring final using 1.5T&E, with a run of less than 3m to the FCU, and you ran the cable in steel conduit, then that would meet the requirements.

But to err on the side of safety, I would always wire in 2.5mm up to the FCU. But even that is only rated at 27A clipped direct, so is, technically, not totally protected by a 32A MCB (though the amount of under-protection is not really significant).

And better to place the FCU on the ring proper, if at all possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back