security Lights on a PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello im looking to install three security lights possibly 500w each halogen or son lights and i want them on one PIR

I just wondered if there was a wiring diagram in the sticky or if someone could help me out with this (maybe better to run to a JB first then daisy chain the lights?

Plus i take it 1.5mm t&E will be fine or flex for the circuit, plus would it be better to RCD and have a double pole switch in the circuit????

Many questions i know but i like to source info and all advice is very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
son wont work on a pir after the first time, 500w are over kill

wire all in paralel

If u want to operate it by one PIR use a contactor in the circuit to switch the load

hello guys

so does son not work on pir fullstop?

Plus how come there isnt a pir that can handle the switching load of three security lights?

would you mind letting me know how it should be wired if so, that would be much appreciated if you have time, many thanks guys

when you say wire in parallel i take it you mean bring them all back to the JB for the feed and switch live?

Sponsored Links
added on sorry

instead of one at JB and rest daisy chained for series

SONs will work on a PIR but take a good minute to reach any decent brightness and once they turn off, will not strike until they have cooled down so aren't suitable.

As most PIRs are rated about 500w, you would either have to find one rated at least 1500w to do all three halogens or as suggested, use a standard PIR to energise a contactor and the contactor to then supply the lights.

Alternatively, you could get three lights each one with its own PIR. They are so cheap these days.

Combined load about 6 Amp, you would get away with 1.5mm.

briwire thankyou very much for an excellent explanation, i think your right and just get three on their seperate PIRs built in if i make them sensitvie enough thay will all come on near enough at the same time :)

just to clarify for my own mind, wiring in parallel means bringing all lights back to the JB where the feed and switch live is instead of daisy chaining from the first light which has come from the JB?

What area are yopu actually trying to light up ? Do you really need to have 500 watt units ?

I have 3 PIR controlled floodligts at the back of my house. They are small 150 watt units, however one of my neighbours (very nicely) mentined to my wife that one of them lights up one of their bedrooms which is about 50 metres away and makes their grandchild wake up when he comes to stay with them.

I immediately changed the angle of the light and whist doing this also replaced all three 150w bulbs with 100w units.

I still feel that I'm getting more than sufficient light to cover the area i need to, but am using less energy and hopefully not intruding on my neigbours space too much with light pollution now.

I would carefully consider your needs if i was you, using lower powered units might save you an awful lot of planning and hassle.

just to clarify for my own mind, wiring in parallel means bringing all lights back to the JB where the feed and switch live is instead of daisy chaining from the first light which has come from the JB?

Not sure what you mean really.

In Parallel, for 3 lights, one cable, ie three cores ,switched L and N +E would start at a j/b or whatever and go to the first light, then the switched L and N +E from the first light would go to the second light,
then
the switched L and N + E would go on from the second and end at the third light,

If you are using 3 lights you will use the switched Live + N+E,so you can turn them on/off
If you are using 3 pir lights you will use the permenent Live+N+E,unless you want them switched as well,then instead use the switched L +N+E as above.

The same thing is achieved, if THREE Switched L and N + E, all came back seperate,
ie one cable, with three cores, from each light ,
and the 3 switched L, 3N and 3E were all terminated as needed in a j/b or whatever , together with the switched live, from the switch (or permenent live) and the supply neutral

Again use switched lives for 3 lights, or switched or permenent lives for 3 pir lights.

many thanks guys your help is much appreciated, what i have gone with is 3 PIR lights im going to come out of the fuse board through a switch (connect the neutrals etc) into a JB which will sit by my entry point for outside i will then take my feed to my first light and from the JB loop to the second light and so on, this will reduce wiring two cables at the Light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back