LED/PIR security light trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again all.

A little advice please?

I fitted a Screwfix sourced LED security light with PIR motion sensor. It is fitted in a hallway next to the electric cupboard with 3m of direct cable. I used a spare circuit breaker. On testing, as soon as the circuit breaker is switched on (and the security light 'initialises') the RCD pops out. Is there something I am missing about these LED lights, like surges etc?

Thanks in advance.

SB

Sponsored Links
Thanks EFLImpudence - I am certain you are right. Back on it on Tuesday so will confirm, but in the back of my mind I am certain I was using the LHS Neutral strip and a RHS MCB position of the dual box.

I suspect I will be reporting back complete with 'embarrassed' Emoji! My C&G Electrical Engineering 'ticket' seems to have deserted me...

SB

:( This is the nearest I could find to an 'embarrassed' emoji !!

After EFLImpudence's comment yesterday, I couldn't wait to go back to go back to this, which I did this afternoon. And ! Yes, I had wired to the wrong Neutral bar. Don't ask me how!!

Thanks all for reading and thanks for the help offered. I now have a fully working PIR flood and the RCD's are still intact!!

Regards

SB

Sponsored Links
Of course @steviebobs - by creating a new circuit you run into all sorts of legal requirements. New circuits require notification to the Local Authority.

You should have used a registered electrician who could you’d have certified and notified the work for you. Alternatively you could have used an existing circuit.

Thank you Taylortwocities for your excellent point, excellently made. I would not normally respond other than to say thank you but a bit of background may help?

Firstly being a retired tradesman in the electrical industry I fully understand the need to keep our tradespeople in employment. I often employ my local tradespeople to do work that I am quite capable of doing myself. On this occasion, our local qualified electrician gave an estimate of £160 to supply and fit 3m of cable (in existing trunking) and a £20 lamp. Unfortunately this made my 90 year old neighbour's eyes water. So I stepped in. Less than £30 in 'parts' and less than an hours work for me. If a reasonable quote had been accepted by my neighbour I would not have got involved. And prior to the response 'well a pro would not have made that mistake', the electrical installation on a new house I bought failed it's test because of several wiring reversals, so even pros sometimes make mistakes.

Thanks to all on this site for assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back