PIR LED Security Light with Accessory Switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, title says it all really.

I had a halogen security floodlight with an integrated PIR.

The mains feed ran into the PIR and there was a switched live accessible (it went to the floodlight), so I ran a further cable from this light to another non-sensor light, such that when the PIR switched the floodlight on, both lights came on.

The floodlight is very old - it pre-dates Part P.

I'd like to swap this floodlight for a modern LED unit, but all of the PIR LED floodlights that I can find seem to have just a mains connection to the PIR and no access to a switched live from the PIR. The connection from the PIR to the LED is enclosed and/or filled with some sort of potting compound)

In essence, what I'm looking for is an LED floodlight with PIR that has an accessible switched live (aka accessory switching) so that I can just do a simple swap of the old unit for the new.

I know that I could run the mains feed to a stand-alone PIR and then run this to non-sensor lights, but this would involve re-configuring the cables where, ideally, I just want to swap like-for-like.

So, (a) do such things as 'accessory switching' PIR LED floodlights actually exist and (b) can anyone point me in the right direction (links to same would be fab).

A quick Google search using terms like led security light "accessory switching" simply turns up "ordinary" PIR security floodlights as so searches on the likes of Toolstation & Screwfix

Thanks in anticipation,

XRD

Sponsored Links
Use a separate PIR sensor and floodlight without integral sensor.

The Steinel IS180 is a very reliable long life sensor

It's very difficult to say for certain without physically having the product in front of me, but this may work for your requirements:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTUSF10PIRWW.html

I say may, because it is one of the only LED floodlights I could find that has provision for you to open a 'connection box' and connect it to your own flex. The vast majority of LED floodlights on the market seem to come with a prewired piece of flex which then means you can't do what you're trying to do.

Perhaps purchase the above if there is a TLC branch near you, carefully unbox it and see if the switched live from the PIR is accessible to the end user. If it's not, you could always box it back up and return it.

Your other option is to find some new old stock of a halogen floodlight and put in an LED replacement lamp.

It's very difficult to say for certain without physically having the product in front of me, but this may work for your requirements:

I say may, because it is one of the only LED floodlights I could find that has provision for you to open a 'connection box' and connect it to your own flex. The vast majority of LED floodlights on the market seem to come with a prewired piece of flex which then means you can't do what you're trying to do.

Perhaps purchase the above if there is a TLC branch near you, carefully unbox it and see if the switched live from the PIR is accessible to the end user. If it's not, you could always box it back up and return it.

Your other option is to find some new old stock of a halogen floodlight and put in an LED replacement lamp.
@Gigagator
That is a stand alone PIR. Yes that can be linked to another mains PIR. And that is true for just about every mains PIR that I gave seen.
But your suggestion does not meet the requirements. The OP wants a floodlight WITH an integrated PIR That can be connected to another floodlight.

Care to do some more research?

Sponsored Links

Yes, exactly!

Sadly, that doesn't work for me as I am in Yorkshire and there isn't a TLC branch north of Birmingham!

I did find this however (Timeguard LED PRO 10B) but it seems like it needs an additional (plug-in) PIR to do what I want it to do >> link here

Luckily, there are two CEF branches fairly close by (within 7 miles).

XRD

Last edited:
@Gigagator
That is a stand alone PIR. Yes that can be linked to another mains PIR. And that is true for just about every mains PIR that I gave seen.
But your suggestion does not meet the requirements. The OP wants a floodlight WITH an integrated PIR That can be connected to another floodlight.

Care to do some more research?
Not sure what link you clicked on but I liked to a floodlight with a PIR, not a standalone PIR.

LTUSF10PIR_1.jpg

oh yes, sorry. I clicked on the Steinel one in Bernard’s post.
Anyways, there’s only L,N& E. Look at the install document in the technical info.

That's not the same LED floodlight.

This is a link to the correct documentation - look at page 5 (labelled '4' as they don't count the cover as page 1) under'ConnectionDiagram'

It shows that there is a switched live output - but I think you need the plug-in PIR in order for that to be 'active'.

A trip to CEF is in order to check this out!

XRD

That's not the same LED floodlight.

This is a link to the correct documentation - look at page 5 (labelled '4' as they don't count the cover as page 1) under'ConnectionDiagram'

It shows that there is a switched live output - but I think you need the plug-in PIR in order for that to be 'active'.

A trip to CEF is in order to check this out!

XRD
Yes, you buy the flood and the PIR module. Then you get the functionality that the OP is after.

Well,I had a look at both the Timeguard LED PRO 10B floodlight and the dedicated PIR - the Timeguard LED PRO SLB and it looks very straightforward and offers what I Wanted.

However, LEDBulbs.co.uk have both of these in stock (floodlight and PIR) and together with free delivery, they come to almost exactly half the cost of the same units at CEF (£33.90 vs £62.10). CEF were offered the chance to price-match, but wouldn't.

Now to await delivery ...

XRD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back