PIR Security Light Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently above our front door we have a regular outdoor light operated via a 3 way switch just inside the front door (the other 2 operate the hallway and landing lights). I'd like to remove the outside light fitting and replace it with a low powered PIR motion sensor light so when i return at night it will come on as i approach the front door and i can find the right key etc.

I don't need a full powered halogen floodlight, just something robust and that give enough light to get me in the front door on those dark nights.

Can I just wire up a traditional halogen PIR to a regular lght fitting or does it need a separate power supply?

Also this looks good:

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighti...curity-Light-With-Pir-12217503?skuId=12748209

I like the fact it is led but it is quite pricey. Are there any other suggestions, maybe a CFL alternative that may do the job?

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about replacing the existing light for a new PIR, the swap providing the cables are in good condition, should be quite straight forward.
As for the light you have linked to, cannot say first hand of it's quality but the one review given would personally put me off...

Thats ugly, why not get a lantern type fitting that has pir or dusk to dawn or all and fit a cfl in it. Plenty about.
You can connect to the light wire, just leave it switched on.

Sponsored Links
As for the light you have linked to, cannot say first hand of it's quality but the one review given would personally put me off...
What review? - I don't seem to see one on that page.

Kind Regards, John
On link supplied as above:
http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighti...curity-Light-With-Pir-12217503?skuId=12748209
Scroll down to:
Specifications........ Additional Info............ Reviews

One review, in reviews from Tombstone
Waste of money
"The idea of a security light is, as I see it, twofold:
1. To provide a deterrent to thieves by lighting up when movement is detected.
2. To provide lighting in any given area so that home owners can carry out tasks in otherwise dark areas of their property.
Unfortunately this light does not cast enough light for either of the above scenarios, and is therefore a waste of money - at ANY price, even if it were free.
It's a great idea, but led technology can't yet compete with established lighting technology for this type of task.
Stick to standard security lights with R7 bulbs."

I would suggest that the method of installation and location could also be adding to Tombstones problems but that is only an assumption. As the specification given is not that great and does not really indicate the functionality of this product over distance, but one would expect at least a 10m pick up[/quote]

What review? - I don't seem to see one on that page.
On link supplied as above:
Scroll down to: Specifications........ Additional Info............ Reviews
Strange - when I go to 'Additional Info', I see no reference to any reviews - maybe I need another trip to Specsavers!
One review, in reviews from Tombstone
Waste of money
2. To provide lighting in any given area so that home owners can carry out tasks in otherwise dark areas of their property.
Unfortunately this light does not cast enough light for either of the above scenarios, and is therefore a waste of money - at ANY price, even if it were free.
It's a great idea, but led technology can't yet compete with established lighting technology for this type of task.
Thanks (since I can't see it myself!). As you said, not exactly a glowing review!

Kind Regards, John

Waste of money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back