halogen lights for security outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a halogen 500w PIR light. I have this fitted and working on a switch to the kitchen - simple on off and when on the sensor does the rest.

Question - can I attach more 500w lamps to the circuit so that when the one lamp would normally have come on instead the rest all light up. How many can I attach (if any) they are all 500w rated. If possible a quick wire diagram would be great. I`m in Spain and doing this for someone whos asked me to put the light up and then produced four others that have no PIR detection just straight lights.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
How many eggs can you put in a bowl before one falls out?

Yep, depends on the sizes of the eggs and the bowl. Each Light will draw about 2.25 amps - that's quite a lot. Eg, 3 of them would overload a UK 6 Amp CB. 4 need more power than my kettle, toaster and juicer together. I don't know, but I would very much doubt that the switching device in the existing lamp would cope with the increased load (in my experience, they're not blessed with the greatest longevity anyway) that's if you can work out a practicable way of tapping into the load side of it! If I were asked to install such a 2.5kW system I'd be using a seperate detector and switching unit - I'd advise you consider that to be the only safe way ahead in this case.

Some fittings are designed to run a slave. But usually only one extra. And if the relay is not rated, it will not carry any extra.

What do the instructions say?

as a side note is it not worth using 300W lights or even 100 or 60W lights? -theres a whole lot of power been used there!

Sponsored Links
if you want them all to come on together, i would use a seperate PIR and contactor - contactors are my solution to everything at the moment. The PIR has a delicate electronic switch, that might claim to handle 1000w of switching, but will struggle at that. So connect it to a contactor that uses maybe a few watts, and wire the lights to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back