Security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've got a security light that is wired onto a 3 switch spur, the other 2 switches are for lighting. I'm planning on adding a few more security lights so my question is would I be best disconnecting the existing security light from the 3 switch spur, then replacing the 3 switch spur for 2 switch spur so that it is only for the lighting. Then add a 2 switch spur somewhere else and wire the security lights to this? Can I wire more than one security light to a switch or does each light need to be wired to a different switch, example if I wanted to have 3 security lights do I get a 3 switch spur (1 switch for each light) or can I wire all of them to one switch. Also what about connecting the security lights together, not so they come on at the same time but just to provide power to them instead of having to chase cables through the walls to the spur switches.

Sponsored Links
You have many options of switching individually or as a group.
But if you are reconfiguring at the switch for additional lighting, you will require a neutral, not always looped in at the switch, but will be at the existing light.

ok thanks, i think I would prefer them coming on seperately i.e if the front detects motion and goes off I don't want the other one on the back of the house going off. I was thinking more just to supply power to the light to save having 3 switches, as once they are on they will be stopping on so didn't know if I could just have the one switch which would look smarter

Sponsored Links
I would prefer them coming on seperately i.e if the front detects motion and goes off I don't want the other one on the back of the house going off.
You don't need to worry about them coming on if they are going off. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back