Replacing PIR security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An old security light failed & I've bought a replacement - 300W. Instructions say it should not be wired into the lighting circuit, but into a fused switched spur on the ring main.

The old light was wired in 1.5mm twin & earth through a light switch & into the lighting circuit (which has a 6amp circuit breaker). The security light is under a carport & all the wiring outside is under the carport where it is protected from the rain.

Is it safe simply to replace the light using this wiring arrangement? (The total load on the lighting circuit is well within its capacity.) If not, can I use the existing 1.5mm cable & light switch, & just add a fused spur connecting to the ring main?

Sponsored Links
An old security light failed & I've bought a replacement - 300W. Instructions say it should not be wired into the lighting circuit, but into a fused switched spur on the ring main.

The old light was wired in 1.5mm twin & earth through a light switch & into the lighting circuit (which has a 6amp circuit breaker). The security light is under a carport & all the wiring outside is under the carport where it is protected from the rain.

Is it safe simply to replace the light using this wiring arrangement? (The total load on the lighting circuit is well within its capacity.) If not, can I use the existing 1.5mm cable & light switch, & just add a fused spur connecting to the ring main?

I would have no worry in connecting the new light to the wireing you describe

just ensure the earth is good you will have no problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back