PIR 500w Security light cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hope someone can help me with this

i want to install a security light to the outside wall in my garden, my question is what is the best cable to use? i have looked every where and can't find the answer

i have 1.5mm twin and earth, 2.5mm twin and earth and 1.5mm 3 core flex which is rated up to 16amp and 250v. can i use any of these of should i buy a different cable?

i'm still not sure where i will be connecting the light to, either the lighting circuit or through a spur off the ring main, this will depend on where i run the cable, i can drill straight through the wall into the spare bedroom and connect it to either the ring or light circuit but won't be able to have a switch, or i can run the cable on the outside wall, and into the kitchen so i can fit a switch, any advice is greaty appreciated

Sponsored Links
can i add, the flex i want to use is H05VV-F 3G 1.5mm and in the instructions to the light it says to use H05RN-F 3G 1.0mm????? is mine better or worse?

Using 1.5mm instead of 1mm is always a better option for lighting anyway.
Make sure the cable you intend to use is suitable for use outside and is UV stabilised - wont get damaged by sunlight - this rules out your Twin & Earth.

Any decent electrical wholesaler will help you out.

Doesn't really matter too much which circuit you connect the light off (I'd advise an RCD protected one though) but it does need to be switched, double-pole preferably. If you do decide to come off a ring main you need to use a Fused Connection Unit, which will double as your switch :)

Cenelec cable code
H is harmonized
05 is 300/500v
vv is pvc standard insulated and sheathed, whereas RN I think is rubber
F is flexible conductor for class 5 flexible cables
3 is number of cores
G means with G/Y earth core
1.5mm is the size bigger than 1.00mm

Sponsored Links
is my cable ok to use then? is pvc better than rubber for outside?

i think i've worked out how and where i want my light, can i run this past you guys:

currently i have a 32a mcb (protected by the rcd on the cu) feeding a 13a fcu which is in my kitchen, which then goes to a swa cable which runs down my garden to my garage, the circuit is a radial circuit and the garage is the only thing on the circuit (so far), can i spur off this fcu (feed side or output side?) to another 3a/13a fcu and run the light off that? this way will only involve drilling straight through the outside wall to where i want the light meaning i won't have cable running everywhere? and then seal the hole with silicone

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back