security light with PIR 500w on 3amp plug (3 pin)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.

i wanted to put up a security light with attached PIR at 500W, i wanted to do this via a 3amp (3pin plug) 3 core 1.5mm core cable directly from the light into the 3pin plug socket, as i dont want to take a spur. to much messing drilling etc.

is this okay? 3 amp fuse and 3 core 1.5mm black wire???earth to earth, blue to blue, brown to brown??

black core 1.5mm okay for outdoor use? as the cable will be coming from the outside wall into the socket (inside)??? is this cable okay for wet weather???

plan is where i will drill hte hole on the putside to hang the light, the socket is located (3 pin plug) close to the hole. so its a matter of feeding the cable through the cavity wall and plug straight into a 3 pin...so all in all 1 meter 1.5mm cre black cable needed..

Sponsored Links
I am not on normal PC so can't check but I seem to remember that unless you get special permission from council you are limited to 150 Watt.
Plus of course Part P which could also effect the results.
As to cable it will depend where it is run anything at or below ground level we would use SWA and anything exposed to sun light will be black PVC outer but if for example at 2 meters high black flex could be used.
Also of course any new cables will need protecting with a RCD.
Many rules are not hard and fast and it is hard to answer such a vague question and unless in Scotland often for small Part P work it is cheaper to get a registered electrician than DIY

i wanted to do this via a 3amp (3pin plug) 3 core 1.5mm core cable directly from the light into the 3pin plug socket, as i dont want to take a spur. to much messing drilling etc

Then you mention a socket the otherside of the wall?

You shouldn't have a socket off a lighting circuit. Someone may unplug the light and put a heavy load appliance in. A 6a lighting circuit can only take 6 x 230v = 1380w of total load.

Hence why, if you do come via a lighting circuit LNE a fused spur can limit the load to 3A via a 3A fuse.

If all your doing is taking a 3 core rubber flex on to a plug and using a standard existing ring socket there's no problem at all.

Fuse plug at 3A
Drill upward angle from outside to in
Have drip loop under hole and below lamp on flex

Reading this thread, and this one: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=165074 it seems to me that you want to do a dreadful bodged mess of a job either because you don't have a clue how to do it properly or because you can't be *rsed to do it properly.

Either put all these lights back in their boxes and get some books on basic house wiring practices or call an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Hey there Smaksmilie

What a pity Irene was only a TS when she passed you by. She should have been a Cat4 when she got to you last weekend and you could then have been blown onto Salt Island and never heard of again.

(Unless you are lying about your location as the USVI :rolleyes: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back