wall lights x2 on 3amp fuse (3 pin plug)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.

im trying to connect 2 wall lights side by side in living room

i want to do this via a 3amp (3pin plug) instead of using a FCU fused at 3amp.

i am familiar with the wiring as the light tiself has earth (metal linked) and blue / brown wires,

i will off course use a 3core black 1.5mm cable from the light to the 3amp 3pin plug.

the problem im having at moment how do i make sure both lights can come on together just by pressing the 3amp 3 pin plug??

ie how do i wire the lights up so when i switch on the 3amp plug both lights will light up??

thanks

Sponsored Links
i want to do this via a 3amp (3pin plug) instead of using a FCU fused at 3amp.
Why on earth would you want a length of flex dangling down the wall instead of having the wiring all neatly concealed?

Why do you want the lights on a socket circuit instead of the lighting one, controlled by a light switch on the wall?

i will off course use a 3core black 1.5mm cable from the light to the 3amp 3pin plug.
1.5mm²? :eek:

That's huge - it's going to look as cr** as a cr**py thing that's very cr**.

Are the lights designed to accept flex that size, or even flex at all? Is there a suitable strain relief or will the cable rip itself out of the terminals under its own weight?

the problem im having at moment how do i make sure both lights can come on together just by pressing the 3amp 3 pin plug??

ie how do i wire the lights up so when i switch on the 3amp plug both lights will light up??
Why can't you simply connect one light to the other one?

[thanks.

the lights have 2 lamps on each ie 50w each, total 200w, so puttting them sie by side of the wall will have equal light going arounf the lounge, if i put them together then there wont be much light going..

my plan is beneath the lights where i wish to fix them both sides have a double socket in the wall, so my plan is to wire the lights and feed the cable from the back of the wall and feed close to the socket, that way the cable is on the extrernal of the wall, so all you see is a light hanged up and a 3 pin plug fixed into the socket..

the lamps wall lights are the bog standard from Argos (elsie brass wall light)

[thanks.

the lights have 2 lamps on each ie 50w each, total 200w, so puttting them sie by side of the wall will have equal light going arounf the lounge, if i put them together then there wont be much light going..
Don't see what that has to do with anything...

my plan is beneath the lights where i wish to fix them both sides have a double socket in the wall, so my plan is to wire the lights and feed the cable from the back of the wall and feed close to the socket, that way the cable is on the extrernal of the wall, so all you see is a light hanged up and a 3 pin plug fixed into the socket..
I'm not with you - are you saying you're going to have the cable running down the other side of the wall, and then back through it to the side where the light and the socket is?

the lamps wall lights are the bog standard from Argos (elsie brass wall light)
Not designed to have flex hanging from them.

Quite honestly, your plan is appalling.

Sponsored Links
Wall lights are designed for fixed wiring. Don't do what you are proposing. You'll be better off with a couple of these: STANDARD LAMPS

OMG - i think i have just figured out what you mean. You intend to drill a hole through the external wall behind the light, run the cable down the wall outside and then drill back through the wall beside the socket.

How will you protect the cable externally?

That will look so gash its not even worth talking about, dangerous too as the sparkys on here will tell you.

Are you talking about running cable in the cavity wall? Don't do that either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back