Chimney Hood...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can give me advice on how to wire my new chimney hood.

It comes with just live and neutral wires, do I wire these into a FCU with a 3amp fuse in...?...Then run a cable down to a plug socket that I have beneath the hob. If so:

1. what thickness of cable do I use?

2. can I simply put a plug on this cable and 'plug in'?

3. what fuse do I put in the plug? (3amp?)

4. do I have an earth wire connected from the plug to the FCU?

Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
First thing you need to do is read the manufacturers instruction that come with the appliance.
I personally would install a switched fuse connection unit (FCU) at worktop height, take a feed from a suitable socket to the FCU then route a cable to the fan and connect the two cables via a flex outlet plate.

There are regulations concerning permitted routes of cables buried in walls and also the requirement of 30mA RCD protection for buried cable.

1. what thickness of cable do I use?

2. can I simply put a plug on this cable and 'plug in'?

3. what fuse do I put in the plug? (3amp?)

4. do I have an earth wire connected from the plug to the FCU?

Many thanks...

1) 1.5mm Twin and Earth
2) You could, if you had a suitable socket to plug in to, but note new sockets must have 30mA RCD cable as must any newly buried cable that is not mechanically protected and buried less than 50mm within wall.
3) Read Manufacturers Instructions, if not available, look for output rating of appliance on the unit and divide by 230, then you will be looking for a fuse near that value.
4) You would/must have a CPC/Earth to any wiring you route to accessories such as socket outlets and FCU, but as the flex of the appliance does not have an CPC core, the appliance must be class II/double insulated and requires no CPC at any connected plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back