Kitchen unit lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time installing under unit lights in kitchen and a bit of confusion has arose.

Eventually found ones to buy (harder than I imagined) but these 12v lights come with fused plug. Reason for confusion is I have 1.5mm T and E coiled up coming from 3amp FCU to wire these.

Firstly, are most low voltage cabinet lights wired like this?

Secondly, as I have wired in 1.5mm but now have to wire into socket instead (My initial thought was this would go into a JB) is it acceptable (sockets would be above unit so nothing else would get plugged into it) or any other options advised.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what has happened to the thread, but anyway,

It's a power supply so cannot be cut off - without complicated solutions - so you will have to have a socket.
This could be above the units or somewhere else inconspicuous.

Sponsored Links
I am sure you can buy the bits required to light under the counter, question one has to be if already wired for low voltage, why buy extra low voltage lights?

Lights sold as a kit are made for easy installation, lights sold as independent lamp, switch and cable are designed for hard wiring.

The GX53 lamp is around 5" designed to be hard wired and lamp is renewable, runs on 230 volt. If you buy something not suitable then it takes more time to convert it.

Thanks for replies, not quite sure what has happened to thread. Much pro's and con's for 240v versus 12v on under kitchen unit lights? Thought possibly 12v seen as lights are low level, but haven't seen many that are in price range compared to 240v.

.... Much pro's and con's for 240v versus 12v on under kitchen unit lights? Thought possibly 12v seen as lights are low level, but haven't seen many that are in price range compared to 240v.
Are you thinking about safety? If so, your kitchen worktop will probably be littered with 230/240-V electrical things that are handled far more than any lights would be (kettles, toasters, mixers etc. etc.) - so, provided one gets reputable products, I don't think there is any need for any safety concerns ... but maybe you with thinking of some different consideration?

Kind Regards, John

Are you thinking about safety? If so, your kitchen worktop will probably be littered with 230/240-V electrical things that are handled far more than any lights would be (kettles, toasters, mixers etc. etc.) - so, provided one gets reputable products, I don't think there is any need for any safety concerns ... but maybe you with thinking of some different consideration?

Kind Regards, John

Primarily I was thinking of safety, although I know I am just being overcautious more than anything. I was told 240v lamps could also get hotter, even though it's a LED light? The one I have seen is this one -

https://www.downlights.co.uk/under-cupboard-led-lights.html

Thanks

Primarily I was thinking of safety, although I know I am just being overcautious more than anything.
Indeed. As I said/implied, you're fairly unlikely to ever come into contact with the lights, yet every day handle plenty of 230V items in the kitchen. However, I would never knock 'caution'!
I was told 240v lamps could also get hotter, even though it's a LED light?
Well, if we're talking about LEDs, if you have 12V ones, then at least some of the heat will be generated in the (separate) transformer/power supply, whereas with 230V ones it will necessarily all be generated within the LED lamp/bulb.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back