Can i add a plug to a ceiling light to test it? (Light has no earth)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We bought two new ceiling lights ex display in a box an instead of me climbing up the ladder and spending an hour changing them both to find out they don't work. Could i add a 3 pin plug with a 3amp fuse to it and test them first?

However the light fitting is metal and does not have an earth cable, but the light is double insulated (double square symbol). Just unsure if this will effect it by adding it to a plug.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
We bought two new ceiling lights ex display in a box an instead of me climbing up the ladder and spending an hour changing them both to find out they don't work. Could i add a 3 pin plug with a 3amp fuse to it and test them first?
Yes, of course.

However the light fitting is metal and does not have an earth cable, but the light is double insulated (double square symbol). Just unsure if this will effect it by adding it to a plug.
No, it'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back