Can I use Mains Halogen spotlight with 2-Amp 3Pin Round Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 micromark gu10 main voltage halogen (35w) double spotlights
to use indoors (even though they can go outdoors)

Can I attach a 3 wire cable to them and then to a 2-Amp 3-Pin Round Plug so that I can operate them from the light switch?

I currently use 2 lamps via that little 3 pin plug and socket, and via the wall light switch, so it all works. The little plugs are earthed but there isn't a fuse in them.

Hope someone can help :D

Sponsored Links
In theory yes - the only issue is whether the cable is fused correctly at the consumer unit - any idea what protection this circuit has?

Those little plugs/sockets are often used for lamps and lighting in higher end installs.

3 core flex will be fine and I would say that 0.75mm would be adequate.

Hope that Helps

Gavin

Thanks Gavin

The consumer unit is an old type with chunky fuses behind a plastic plate. I cannot tell which one is for the lights - so I will have to try them separately. I assume I pull them out (I've never done that before - my last place had up and down switches on each circuit which tripped out if overloaded). I hope this is still OK.

Should I be OK if it is one of the 5amp fuses?

The thing is the instructions for the GU10 lights says
"Do not wire this light into the lighting circuit - use a switched fused spur"

Does that complicate things?

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me they need to be on a three amp fuse so you will need to either fit a switch fused spur fitted with a three amp fuse and connect them to that or put a plug top with a three amp fuse in it.

Oh. :oops:

I would still like to use the 2 amp plug top to activate the lights from the wall switch.

Is there an in-line spur that can go between them?

Or can I wire the 2 lights into a 3 amp fused spur then straight back out of the spur to a 2 amp plug top?

Also, I'd like to replace the wall switch with a dimmer :LOL:

It's called
Micromark Radius GU10 Mains Voltage Double Spotlight MM19017
(2 x 35W)

Are you sure the plug top you have has no fuse sorry to ask.It seems odd they state do not connect to the light circuit.Does it say why not.

The little 2 amp plug tops have no fuses - and I use them with normal lamps.

I have no idea why the new Micromark lamps say do not fit to lighting socket - I thought you had the answer because the lighting is probably 6amp and they want maybe 3amp - although they don't say that either.

Surely they should say if they are 3amp or something on the box or instructions. But no

The only other thing I can see is a faint inscription deep inside the actual lamp holder that reads:-

Fortune FT10U T300 250V 2A

I can scan the instruction sheet if that helps

Also post a pic of the light as well if possible.

It should say what fuse it needs in the FCU, as what is stopping someone putting in a 13 amp fuse, it would be safer on a fixed 6 amp circuit than that situation.

Dont Worry
Its posted below now :)

Just had a look on the micromark site and read the instructions - Clicky

It does say rather clearly 'do not wire into the lighting circuit - use a switched fused spur' but fails to either say why or state what fuse they think you should use.

I am guessing they are perhaps saying it because it is designed for outside use and therefore more likely to be exposed to damp etc. (though that by itself isn't a sensible reason to use a fused spur).

However, in the absence of them stating a fuse requirement, I can see no reason at all why you could not use as you wish (directly into the round 3 pin socket). Looking at the product, a 5A fuse should certainly be more than adequate and it should never draw more than a fraction of an amp anyway.

Having said that, if you go against the manufacturers express instructions they will likely not provide any warranty or support if something goes wrong.

It may be worth ringing their 'technical helpline' and asking about using it indoors and seeing what they say.

You could comply with their instructions by replacing the light switch with a fused spur but personally I don't see how that would make anything more safe.

Regarding a dimmer, you could replace the light switch with one, but personally I've found that dimming GU10s can shorten their life expectancy significantly. If you do it, you need to get a dimmer that is rated for halogen loads, or 'derate' the stated normal load by 50% - in your case with two lights a standard 400W would suffice (250W would probably do but a little tight), or one that is rated to accept 140W halogen load.

Gavin

p.s. Have you discovered what the fuse is on that circuit - if its an old install I'm slightly worried that its a very old power socket we are talking about and not wired to the lighting circuit at all!

The reason for the "switched" FCU may be to provide Double pole isolation, presuming they think you are putting it outside.

As there stuff is also export this may be the case elsewhere, but Afaik not the case in the UK.

Edit
Added the word "Switched"

I put these lights up on the outside of a cinema in stroud and they definatly were connected to a lighting circuit.I guess its to do with fusing down but as far as I can remember they didnt come with flex attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back