2 Amp round pin plug wired to trailing socket?

%A plugs with fuses are certainly availableee, but I'm not so suree about 2A ones - havee you found theem?
MK certainly used to make them, but I'm not sure if they do anymore. The part number is 639 WHI but the only supplier listing I found was listed as discountinued https://www.rapidonline.com/mk-639whi-round-pin-mains-plug-2a-fused-white-23-0331.

Agreed, and IF fused 2A sockets exist, I'm not sure what fuse they would have (a BS 1362 one would probably not fit).
Assuming you mean plugs, all of MKs fused BS546 plugs took BS646 fuses.

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but surely the answer then is to use a short cable that fits the plug joined on to the larger cable rather than bodging a large cable into the plug.
One could do that. To what extent it would be a 'bodge' to connect the large cable directly to the plug presumably depends upon how easily it can actually be done (regardless of what the manufacturer may say about the plug's 'cable capacity'). If it could be done fairly easily (and satisfactorily) I'm not sure in what sense it would be a 'bodge'.

I'm just wondering what plugs he was using, i'm sure the times I've seen 2.5mm flex wired to a plug it seemed to be completely filling the cable entry.

Sponsored Links
MK certainly used to make them, but I'm not sure if they do anymore. The part number is 639 WHI but the only supplier listing I found was listed as discountinued https://www.rapidonline.com/mk-639whi-round-pin-mains-plug-2a-fused-white-23-0331.
Fair enough - as I said, I don't think I've ever seen a fused 2A plug. However, I wonder where the fuse goes, with those screws where they are, I presume it must have going lengthwise 'up the middle'?
Assuming you mean plugs, all of MKs fused BS546 plugs took BS646 fuses.
Yes, sorry, I obviously meant plugs - and yes, you're probably right about the BS646 fuses.

Kind Regards, John

I'm just wondering what plugs he was using, i'm sure the times I've seen 2.5mm flex wired to a plug it seemed to be completely filling the cable entry.
I've certainly managed to get 2.5mm² flex into a BS1363 plug in my time, but it was all very tight, so I would suspect that 4mm² might be very difficult, if possible at all.

Kind Regards, John

I've certainly managed to get 2.5mm² flex into a BS1363 plug in my time, but it was all very tight, so I would suspect that 4mm² might be very difficult, if possible at all.

Kind Regards, John
Certainly not easy and one has to be very choosey on model. RS did a Marbo lookalike, the original Marbo required a slight opening of the cable slot in the cover and longer clamp screws. Very early on I picked up some unbranded nylon plugs which required minor surgery to one of the internal guides.

Certainly not easy and one has to be very choosey on model. RS did a Marbo lookalike, the original Marbo required a slight opening of the cable slot in the cover and longer clamp screws. Very early on I picked up some unbranded nylon plugs which required minor surgery to one of the internal guides.
I doubt that, without some surgery, it could be plugged into a standard BS1363 socket, but I imagine there would be probably be plenty of room for 4mm cable in one of these! ...

1696128986513.png

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - as I said, I don't think I've ever seen a fused 2A plug.
I've only ever seen fused BS546 plugs (of any rating) in catalogues and on supplier websites. I recall they were always bloody expensive.

I think the 2A version has probablly indeed been discontinued. CPC list the 5A and 15A versions and the "datasheet" link is a MK catalogue page that makes no mention of the 2A version.

I've only ever seen fused BS546 plugs (of any rating) in catalogues and on supplier websites. I recall they were always bloody expensive. .... I think the 2A version has probablly indeed been discontinued. CPC list the 5A and 15A versions and the "datasheet" link is a MK catalogue page that makes no mention of the 2A version.
That all sounds very reasonable.

I suppose that, in terms of 'hard-wired' use (i.e. forgetting about the possibility of 'adapters' and 'conversion leads' such as we're discussing in this thread), there probably never has been much of a significant need for fused 2A or 5A plugs (particularly the latter), since they would usually only be fed from (hard-wired to) a circuit which already had a 5A or 6A OPD.

Kind Regards, John

Curious how one would react to/code to a 2 amp round pin plug wired to a normal UK single trailing socket, So client can use normal light fixtures fitted with a BS1363 plug connected to a 2 amp round pin socket, to allow flexibility and easy hot-swapping of light fixtures without having to wire a 2 amp round pin plug to every lamp fixture.
There must be lots of cables and adapters out there that on the one hand have legtimate uses, but on the other hand are potentially dangerous if misused. Most test gear uses 4mm shrouded connectors, many test equipment vendors supply cables and/or adapters which will adapt from a 13a socket to 4mm connectors as a standard item. Many more cables with 4mm connectors on one end and all manner of connectors of the other must get custom-made as part of building test setups. Lots of equipment uses generic multi-pin connectors, if two different manufacturers happen to pick the same connector but use a different pinout then the possibilites for dangerous combinations are endless.

On the other hand there are cables that everyone agrees should never be made. Such as a cable with a 13A plug on both ends.

Where does one draw the line? how high does the risk of misuse have to be before we say the cable/adapter is unacceptable? does it depend on the situation in which the cables are/will be used?

Where does one draw the line? how high does the risk of misuse have to be before we say the cable/adapter is unacceptable?
Quite so - that's what I find myself saying/asking about so many things that get discussed here and similar places.

As we know, some people seem to take the view that 'any' degree of risk is unacceptable, which is daft on many levels - not the least because 'zero risk' is almost never achievable - and, in context, the capacity of idiots to abuse things in crazy ways almost without limt!
does it depend on the situation in which the cables are/will be used?
the degree of risk obviously does depend upon that - but when something is manufactured and sold, there is usually no control over (and often no knowledge of) "the situations in which it may be used".

Kind Regards, John

Quite so - that's what I find myself saying/asking about so many things that get discussed here and similar places.

As we know, some people seem to take the view that 'any' degree of risk is unacceptable, which is daft on many levels - not the least because 'zero risk' is almost never achievable - and, in context, the capacity of idiots to abuse things in crazy ways almost without limt!

the degree of risk obviously does depend upon that - but when something is manufactured and sold, there is usually no control over (and often no knowledge of) "the situations in which it may be used".

Kind Regards, John
Which is why I'm conflicted too often, yes I have an adapter cable; 2A plug to blue 32A socket, 0.5 or 0.75mm² 3c flex about 3m long which I assembled for a specific job and used a number of times once per year. Do I have any form of widow maker? yes of course. Do I have big plugs on small cables? you bet, including a 63A plug on a C13 and a 128/3 male to 16/1 female etc but all kept strictly under my control.
Would I sell or hire any to a customer? NFW as I have no idea where it may end up or what botch they may do with them.

One of my regular jobs 3-4 times per year grew from a fairly simple PA system with a 50m run for my power to providing power for the organisers for a light and till in a hut and a till at the entrance
1696372605386.png

Would I dry hire that to a customer? No

However they wanted more regular power in their hut without running a generator (it died) so They had the 32A socket fitted to the house and upgraded inlet and installation in shed, then rolled the cable out as and when required, I added the rest when providing PA. I supplied this:
1696373511733.png

Fair enough - as I said, I don't think I've ever seen a fused 2A plug. However, I wonder where the fuse goes, with those screws where they are, I presume it must have going lengthwise 'up the middle'?

Yes, sorry, I obviously meant plugs - and yes, you're probably right about the BS646 fuses.

Kind Regards, John

Look at my post on page 2 for pics of a Fused 2a plug to see where the fuse is,ie in the same position as 13a plugs

Look at my post on page 2 for pics of a Fused 2a plug to see where the fuse is,ie in the same position as 13a plugs
So it does. However, although a similar arrangement might conceivable just about be possible in the one that plugwash linked to, it stilllooks to me as if it would be a bit of a struggle with those screws where they are ...
1696424702034.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back