Installing Round Pin Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conservatory with just one central pendant light and would like to add table lamps on a dimmer switch. Is it OK to extend the lighting circuit by changing the one-gang switch to a two-gang dimmer and connecting two, 5 amp, round-pin sockets? Does using unfused 5 amp plugs make the lights any less safe than using them with the 13 amp plugs (fitted with 3 amp fuses) that they came with? The lighting circuit has a 6 amp trip.

Sponsored Links
I have a conservatory with just one central pendant light and would like to add table lamps on a dimmer switch. Is it OK to extend the lighting circuit by changing the one-gang switch to a two-gang dimmer and connecting two, 5 amp, round-pin sockets?
It is, unless the switch is actually a switched FCU from the socket circuit.

Do you know that you have a neutral at the switch?

Does using unfused 5 amp plugs make the lights any less safe than using them with the 13 amp plugs (fitted with 3 amp fuses) that they came with? The lighting circuit has a 6 amp trip.
As long as the flex to the lights is 0.75mm² or greater it will be perfectly OK for it to be protected by a 6A breaker.

I'm pretty certain the light is off the kitchen lighting circuit. I will check tonight.

Regarding the wiring, I will have to run this around the walls behind the skirting as the floor is solid. Do I have to use steel conduit or is capping sufficient? I was hoping not to have to cut a 50 mm chase.

Thanks for the feedback

Sponsored Links
Regarding the wiring, I will have to run this around the walls behind the skirting as the floor is solid. Do I have to use steel conduit or is capping sufficient? I was hoping not to have to cut a 50 mm chase.

You can use the skirting board provided it is specifically made as trunking:

The bottom of the wall is not a safe zone, so if you run concealed cables there they need to be protected appropriately, generally that means either steel conduit or a cable type with a built in earthed metal layer (e.g. pyro, flexishield or SWA among others).

DO NOT try to bury the cables 50mm deep, while doing so does comply with the electrical regs it is likely to compromise the structure of the building.

Cables in trunking don't count as concealed because you can see the trunking. Some of the wooden skirting trunking products seem a bit dodgy to me though because you can't easily tell that they are trunking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back