2 Amp round pin plug wired to trailing socket?

I actually have a lead 2A plug to 16A blue socket which I made up for a particular village fete where the most accessible power source was a light in the church wicker gate and plugged into this style of metal clad socket:
1695852478241.png

My thanks to Ebay for the image.

Sponsored Links
That would be 'nicer' (although I'm not sure that such animals exist), but there would still be those 'clever clogs' who would be concerned that someone might change thge 2A fuse for a 13A one ;)

Yes, if there's one thing you learn in life, it's people will find a way to do the most stupid and silly things, despite our best efforts to prevent otherwise. Engineer your design like one is trying to exploit it's shortcomings and make it fail in the most dangerous way possible.

Yes, if there's one thing you learn in life, it's people will find a way to do the most stupid and silly things, despite our best efforts to prevent otherwise. Engineer your
Indeed, but I there is clearly a limit to how far one can (or should) go in trying to anticipate, and minimise the effects of, subsequent stupidity.

An electrical installation should certainly be designed and constructed such as to minimise the risk of 'accidental' unwise or potentially dangerous things being done, particularly by 'lay' people, but I don't think it makes sense to go very far in trying to pre-empt, and 'prevent', 'deliberate stupidity'.

Apart from anything else, how far would one go? For example, should we ban all circuits (all the ay down to lighting ones) with a design current less than 45A (with all the consequences in terms of cable sizes and accessory 'ratings') on the basis that some idiot might subsequently connect a 10.5 kW shower to one of them? :)

Kind Regards, John

A good motto in all things might be something like "Never under estimate the sheer ingenuity of complete and utter imbeciles"

Sponsored Links
I think you can get the BS1362 fuses in ratings of 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 & 13. All but 3A and 13A are colour code black. 3A and 13A are the most common ones with perhaps 5A being the next most common

A good motto in all things might be something like "Never under estimate the sheer ingenuity of complete and utter imbeciles"
Very much so - but, as I wrote, I don't think it is sensible to go very far in attempts to frustrate their attempts to do imbecilic' things - apart from anything else, just as is the case with Mr Murphy's Law, no matter how one tries to thwart them, they will still find ways of doing what they want!

Kind Regards, John

I think you can get the BS1362 fuses in ratings of 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 & 13. All but 3A and 13A are colour code black. 3A and 13A are the most common ones with perhaps 5A being the next most common
Yes, I agree totally with all that. I seem to recall that BS 1362 is fairly clear in saying that 3A and 13A (for which, as you imply, it assigns specific colours) are the two 'preferred' ratings.

As I often say, for no particularly ration reason (other than "why not?" !) I personally make fairly extensive use of 1A and 2A ones, but II doubt that many other people do :)

Kind Regards, John

Why? The fuse is to protect the cable and cable so weedy to require a 1a fuse is not allowed anyway.
Because, regardless of the notion that "the fuse is there to protect the cable", that doesn't stop it protecting other things. Given that there's no reason (with non-weedy cable) not to use a 1A fuse (for a very small load), and there is just about an outside chance that blowing of a 1A fuse would prevent or reduce damage to whatever is on the end of the cable.

Kind Regards, John

Why? The fuse is to protect the cable and cable so weedy to require a 1a fuse is not allowed anyway.
Wil you please stop this crap.
A fuse is a protective device and one does not have to restrict their designs to the basic or minimum standards listed in the regulations.

It is NOT crap. It has always been said the fuse in a 13a plug is to protect the cable not the device on the end of it which the manufacturer should internally protect.
As I said, a fuse does not know what it is protecting. Yes, the primary requirement is that is should protect the cable, but that does not, and cannot, prevent it also providing some degree of protection to 'the device on the end of it'.

It is NOT crap. It has always been said the fuse in a 13a plug is to protect the cable not the device on the end of it which the manufacturer should internally protect.
And so what?

Winston has been told repeatedly it is crap hasn't he... of no lung?

Last edited:
Lets put it another way then
When you select a fuse for a manufactured appliance you must fit the fuse to protect the cable (usually flex) capacity, the manufacture must design to protect the appliance from all occurrences within the appliance.

When you fit a fuse on something you might also want to protect the appliance (say you designed and manufactured it yourself) from other occurrences/considerations and therefore fit a fuse below the size rating of the flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back