Can I use Mains Halogen spotlight with 2-Amp 3Pin Round Plug

Thanks for all that great information!

Your link did go straight to the same instructions that I have in the packet.

My electrical installation is quite old although probably quite special when it was new. There are no ceiling lights in the lounge, just these cute 2 amp plugs for lamps wired to the one wall switch. There are also regular squared 3 pin plug sockets in the room/house so it's not the really really old system that had huge round pin plugs.

I will check if these lights are on the 5amp fuse tomorrow (in daylight because I haven't got a working torch - (I wouldn't mind a recommendation of the best torch if you know of one - 21 zillion leds or ? :confused: ).

As far as the warranty of the product, I don't much care; I just don't want to cause a fire or shock anyone!

Thanks for telling me about dimmers sapping life from GU10's. They're quite dear for a bulb anyway so I shall be careful.

So, just to check, if a table lamp says in needs a 3amp fuse, is it still OK to pop a 2amp round pin plug top on it and plug it straight into the lighting socket? (Assuming that circuit is on a 5amp fuse!)

Sponsored Links
I would connect the flex to the terminal block on the light, then out through the grommet at the back. Then I would pin the flex to the wall and connect the other end directly to the 3 pin round 2 amp plug.

I don't need to chase any wires behind walls because most of it will be behind a wall unit and won't be seen.

I may chase the first 6" into the plasterboard for about 6" then right back out again where the wall unit starts just to look tidy.

Does that sound OK? :)

Sponsored Links
Officially designed for clocks and if one is pedantic I suppose one could say you should not use them as may not comply with BS 1363. BS 546, BS 196 or BS EN 60309-2 but the little neat plug and sockets are fused to BS 646 or BS 1362 and would do the job well. MK 993 WHI (Round) or 995 WHI (Standard socket size) or 997 WHI (Small square). Because these are fused there should be no problem see http://www.electrika.com/products/m/man-0290/pdfcat/mk-06-184.pdf
Eric

These look very strange - do you think I should be changing the 2amp round pin plug sockets for these?

The ones I have of these clock outlets are smaller and neater than 13 amp sockets and unlike the 3 and 5 amp sockets are fused but they have very small blade connectors and use a screw to hold them in place. They will not hold in place very well without screw and you may feel they are unsuitable I would suggest you go to a whole sale outlet and look at one first.
Eric

If you are concerned contact Micromark and ask them the reason they state what they have said.

Alternatively ask a local electrician about fitting a switched spur on the wall either next to the light, or in the cable before each light.

Wire from yor existing 2amp plug to the spur and from the spur output to the light.

The spur can then be fused low and also provide a local switch/isolator.

I'd be interested to see a link to a single pole one.

I have emailed Micromark technical to ask them for their reasoning.

If 5amps is too much then I will tackle wiring a spur between the 2a socket and the light fittings as you say.

I have a reply from Micromark Technical :D

"Thank you for your recent e-mail, you can connect the light your way if you wish,the reason that we say to use a fused spur is so you can isolate the lights should you ever need to carry out any work on them and of course you cannot put a fused spur on a lighting ring."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back