modifying ikea halogen cabinet spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought these halogen spotlights from ikea to go under my cabinets in my kitchen.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...20&categoryId=16082&chosenPartNumber=80072941

At the moment, the spots all go to a transformer which in turn goes to a little switch and 3-pin plug.

What I'd like to know is if it's ok to ditch the 3-pin plug and switch and wire them from the transformer to the main wiring circuit in the kitchen, so they go on with the kitchen light?

Sponsored Links
chrisz said:
main wiring circuit in the kitchen, so they go on with the kitchen light?

If you mean your socket circuit, then no it's not OK (unless you add an FCU)

If you mean your lighting circuit, then it's fine. Of course assuming you comply with part P and all that.

thanks for your reply.

Am aware of part p, I had 3 halogen spots installed by a qualified electrician instead of the main ceiling rose. The wire from the last one of these is taken across the room, so the spot lights under the units can be switched on at the same time.

If it is ok to use these lights for this, then I will get the pro in again to install them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back