earthing light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've seen advice on the earthing of fittings which has left me wondering. If they are marked as double insulated, is it a good or bad thing to add an earth.

I have two light fittings which are double square marked, but are just a plastic pendant fitting. Thing is they go into a metal fixture to hang the light off and it has no earthing tag apparent. Can I just wire live and nuetral? At moment, I have done just that on a bit of terminal block which I've wrapped in insulating tape and popped into the ceiling. Is this ok or should I pull the floor boards up to add a rose or something. just want to make sure it is safe.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If it is a double insulated fitting then it should not be earthed. I don't like the idea of wrapping chock block in insulation tape though, they should be done in a proper enclosure, taking into account any joints need to be accessable for inspection.

Normally if you have a double insulated fitting you would take an earth wire to the fitting, but NOT connect it to the fitting.

The earth is provided so that if the fitting were to be replaced with a class 1 fitting in future the earth is already there.

Is your light a standard flex drop like this:

AAPEN.JPG

With a metal lamp shade?

The bulb holder is basically standard as per the pic, but there is no top part. It is a glass fly catcher type fitting hanging off chains attached to a flat metal fitting that the wire is threaded through. I have earth to the fitting ands have connected to the block, but it doesn't go to the fitting.

Spark 123, by proper enclosure do you mean floor up and add a box of some sort. Not happy myself with the wrapped block, but don't want to up the flooring if can avoid it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I'll have a look at one of those. Just thinking about how I'll fix it in. Ceiling is old lathe and plaster type, so pain to fix anything substantial into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back