Metal celin fitting needing earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm putting up metal celin light and there is no earth, I know if they are double insulated that there is no need for one but on the light fixture itself there is no symbol to say it is double insulated and there is not one to say it needs an earth, can anyone help me if they have had this trouble before

Sponsored Links
Where was the light fitting made?

If you can send a picture in you will get a much better answer.

There are metal light fittings out there that are supposedly doubled insulated, but a label usually confirms this. There's also a lot of foreign junk out there that is metal, does need earthing, but doesn't have an earth terminal.

Hey I got it from b and q says from China
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
An earth is required.

If your wiring has no earth it is over 50 years old and overdue for replacement.

x1.jpeg

If that terminal is connected to the metal work of the fitting ( by being screwed onto a tab of metal or by a wire ) then it does require an earth.

your light should have a three terminal connection block on it. Where is it?
If its missing, go back to B&Q.
The centre of the block attaches to this earh pin in your picture, the L&N wires from the lamp go to the other to connections.
See the arrow below.
Slide1.jpg

Thanks to all of you, I didn't see that underneath and the connection block is in the bag in my celin there are 3 earth wires do they all need to be conceted or can I just connect one and cap the other two

You must connect all of them together and to the earthing point, and they must also be sleeved with green/yellow sleeving (any diy store).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back