Earthing my home light circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We've just bought two new lights for the hall but they are metal and not double insulated. We got metal as they were replacing metal fittings so assumed it would be ok. Having removed old fittings I notice there is no earth. Now I know I can't fit a metal light fitting with no earth for safety reasons but wondered if there was a way around this? Is it possible to earth just the two fittings? Or is there I was I can double insulate the fittings myself?
Thanks for you help!
Fingers crossed

Sponsored Links
You have two choices.
1. Return them to the store and purchase double insulated fittings.
2. Add a cpc to the circuit.
Knowing that you are going to need earthed fitting in the future should suggest to you that rewiring the lighting circuit is the best way forward.

thanks!
But will I need it in the future? Aren't plastic fittings OK with no earth but just metal the ones the problem.
Got the lights abroad and can't return them, otherwise would have gone back already!
Is cpc is easy thing to do as a short term solution?

Sponsored Links
Cpc = Circuit protective conductor, earth in laymans language.
No you don't have to fit an earth but that will restrict your choice and what about when you come to sell the property. In the future it is expected that seller will have to provide a pack with certification. A periodic inspection on a property with no earths to the lighting circuits will not illicit a 'Satisfactory' status.

It is possible to rewire just the lighting circuits, but if you check you will probably find you have the old rewireable fuses and that is not good.

Don't wish to alarm you just want you to be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back