Earthing outside light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just purchased a new exterior metal light fitting. Although this is outside it sits under the porch and will never be rained on.

This is to replace a new old metal fitting.

The instructions on the new fitting states that the light must be earthed. however when taking the old fitting of the wall this is not, even though this is metal

How do i go about earthing the light into the circuit, or do i need a qualified man you can.

it sits on the downstairs circuit and each fiiting downstairs is metal and all are earthed

advise please

thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there an earth wire in the cable going to the outside light? Failing this, can you trace this cable back to where it comes from and pick up an earth there (replace this piece of cable)? The old one may have been class 2 which doesn't require an earth, or may have been incorrectly installed.

Run a new length of twin&earth to the light from the closest position on the lighting circuit.

It is not notifiable and you can do the work yourself if you feel you can do it safely.

Hi

thanks for the repies

i just had a rummage behind the existing fitting there is indeed a bare wire with an earth sheath on it in the wall, i gave it a pull and took the sheath off but the wire is not long enough to get a connector on it. looks like the previous guy could not be bothered. this is wired through a 9inch solid wall, and i expect this comes in the house on running up the inside wall. and is well and truely plastered.

The best i do is grab this with some long nose pliers. is there anything i can do to extend the wire without adding a connector, something link a small a small crocodile clip?also im assuming this is an earth wire should i have doubts?

could this be a hair rising experiance?

ps the existing fitting does have a screw point in the back with an earth label

Sponsored Links
You may be able to squeeze a crimp on it. Use a red crimp so you can get the tip of the crimp pliers close to the wall. It needs to be a secure connection so clips won't do. At any rate it has to be done. :D

coldshowerkid said:
also im assuming this is an earth wire should i have doubts?
YES!

if someone has had this attitude then it is very likely that the wire isn't connected at the other end either. For a quick check use your multimeter on continuity from that wire to the earth hole on your (plugged in) extention lead. Its not a perfect test but its a lot better than not testing at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back