Light fitting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to change the old light fittings in my new house to more modern light fittings. However, I have come across a problem which I think I have solved but cannot resolve!

I have a light fitting in the downstairs hallway and one on the upstairs landing. They are switched on/off by a switch downstairs and the landing one on/off by a switch upstairs.

The old light fittings were plastic, the new ones metal.

The downstairs wiring is earthed, the upstairs isn't.

Am I right in thinking they wont work unless I earth the upstairs somehow - and thats the problem, how do I earth it? There are only 2 wires coming out of the ceiling (both red - yeap!). Downstairs there are 2 of everything, earth, red and black.

The new metal light fittings work fine in another room where the wiring has an earth, so I assume I just need to earth the landing thingymajig somehow...

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance..
Daren

Sponsored Links
earth is there for saftey. it may be the previous person cut it off (has been known) strip the cable back and see if there is one.

breezer said:
earth is there for saftey. it may be the previous person cut it off (has been known) strip the cable back and see if there is one.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.

I've checked and double checked - there are only 2 wires coming out of the hole in the ceiling. 2 individual cables (both red and wrapped in an outer grey). When I took the old fitting down it wasnt earthed and one of the 2 red's was connected to the N and the other red was connected to the L.

Do I need to earth this new light fitting, well, I have to - tested the new fitting in another room where there is live, neutral and earth and it worked fine. I just dont know how to earth this new light fitting when there isnt an earth cable. If I wire up earth to the new light fitting, where do I take it to? To what do I attached it to?

Thanks once again,
Daren

( dont know if Breezer is still here - so I'll drop in My twopennorth)

Daren, the new light fitting, if metal, must have an earth.

Not having an earth doesnt stop it working - but if a fault develops and the earth isnt present then it cant't protect you.!
The earth is there for safety reasons.

Can you not get into the ceiling above (in the loft ?) and trace where the cable is coming from?
Then replace the twin red ......with a new twin and earth ( red black + earth) from the previous ceiling rose (or junction box )

Sponsored Links
found an old entry using the search facility, bad news... guess the new light fittings are going back and plastic ones going back up..

here

thanks for the replies,
Daren

the post you refer to although true, doesn't mean to say you can not follow the wires all the way back to the consumers unit to see if there is an earth.

also i am puzzled about the two reds, there is no black?

breezer said:
the post you refer to although true, doesn't mean to say you can not follow the wires all the way back to the consumers unit to see if there is an earth.

also i am puzzled about the two reds, there is no black?

Hi,

I haven't given just yet but it's got worse!!

Yeap, defo 2 reds coming out of the ceiling. On the old light fitting one red was connected to L and the other red connected to N. The previous occupant has moved the upstairs landing light, on inspection there has just been a hole forced through the ceiling, enough room (plus a bit more) for the 2 wires and fitting thingys to be shoved through.

I had an idea (and after this experience I wont be having another, read on) I replaced one of the old light fittings (upstairs) and one of the new ones (downstairs). Neither worked. Well I thought it was worth a try! I then took them both off and now another 2 lights dont work??? The 2 (of the 3) bedroom lights don't work now, what the hell have I done (or more likely the previous occupant)....

Me thinks it's time to call an electrician...

sounds like you have dissconeted the feed from one light to the next.
but without knowing exactly what you have done its hard to say :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back