Hituf cable and outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved house and have been gradually been rectifying various electrical oddities that I've come across. This weekends job was sorting out an outside light (500w PIR floodlight)

The previous owner had wired the light into a bedroom ceiling rose with 1mm twin and earth. Since there appears to be rather a lot on this lighting circuit I've followed advice I've previously read on this forum and rewired it to a switched fcu on a spur from a socket in the bedroom and fitted a 3 amp fuse. This runs via 1.5mm cable to a junction box in the loft to connect to the 1mm cable coming from the outside light.

My remaining problem is that the cable running to the ouside light is normal 1mm twin and earth. It goes through a hole in the wall and then into the outside light, meaning that about 12 inches of the twin and earth cable is exposed to the elements which from my reading of the forums is not allowed. What's my best bet? Replace the 1mm twin and earth with 1.5mm hituf cable and terminate it in the junction box I've put in the loft? My main concern is that the TLC web site lists 11mm cable clips for use with the hituf cable which presumably means its fairly chunky stuff.

So the main question is how chunky is the hituf cable and is it going to be easy to terminate it in a 20amp junction box?

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
You could use Arctic cable, but AFAIK that's only available in blue or yellow, so (probably) you'd find that visually unappealing.

Have you thought about using PVC conduit?

Thanks b-a-s.

I think I could live with blue for such a small run. Looking on the TLC site the artic certainly looks thinner than the hituf.

Presumably if I replace the 20 amp junction box with a 30 amp then there might be just enough room to terminate a 1.5mm hituf cable in it?

I had thought about conduit. I'd still need to run artic or hituf in it as the light is on a stand off bracket meaning that whatever I do some part of the cable has to be exposed to the elements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back