Loft lights.

All lights are up and work great from a plug socket. I looked into it more and kinda understand how the lighting ring main works. I suspect the right way to wire it in, would be to add another junction box and wire it in like any other light? .
Glad it works. A couple of points though.

Firstly ( sorry to be pedantic) but to aid your “kinda understanding” of the wiring, lighting circuits are RADIALs not RINGs.

Second, you should not need a junction box, when you make this permanent and connect them to the lighting circuit. Any nearby light rose should provide you with the permanent LNE to power your lights.

Sponsored Links
Quick question, I’m not about to start any rewires or anything, just my down stairs lights got me a bit puzzled.

My downstairs lights are not wired up aswell as my upstairs lights. I changed some lights over the weekend and there was loads of wires and connector blocks. Is that common because of lack of access?

. Is that common because of lack of access?
Terminal blocks (with screws) should not be used if they are not accessible. Maintenance free boxes are now used.
Junction boxes are - these days - not used for new installations, but of course decades of work by householders snd sundry trades may make an installation into a spaghetti nightmare.

Way back when, house lighting wiring was installed using a multi-way junction box hidden usually under the landing floor and in the loft. Always a nightmare to find these. Here’s one I prepared earlier!

21C21FE5-CBC0-458D-A675-C2CEA8C9D548.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That looks a nightmare!

When re-wiring a light circuit, what do you do with all the wires? Every light fitting I have seen (not seen many) only have 3 connections, I’ve only seen pendant lights with enough space for all the wires.

When re-wiring a light circuit, what do you do with all the wires?
You have to firstly decide if you are going to loop in the live and neutrals at the switch (in which case “all the wires” go in the switch box). Or loop in at the light, (in which case “all the wires” go in the ceiling rose). If depends on the type of light and what you are comfortable with.

In these days of smart switches and downlights I would go for loop in at the switch.

If all this sounds confusing, have a look at the WIKI. There are several examples there. https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics%3ALighting-Circuit-layouts

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back