Cable to a fused spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can I ask, if I am taking a spur from a plug socket to a 3amp fused spur for an alarm does the cable going from the socket to the fused spur need to be Twin and Earth? Or will 3 core flex be OK to use?

I understand after the fused spur I can use 3 core 1.5mm flex.

Hope someone can lend some advice.

Sponsored Links
Spur cable to be same as circuit cable. Typically 2.5mm² twin and earth.
Have you established that the donor socket is on a ring final ,and is not a spur itself ? What circuit is it ?

That is not the case.

The spur cable will be protected by the 3A fuse so that is all it has to cope with.

Having said that, there is a spurious 'table' (52.3) in the regulations which states that a minimum 1.5mm² T&E cable shall be used on 'power circuits', but smaller flex may be used.
Yes, that's right; it doesn't make sense.

Spur cable to be same as circuit cable. Typically 2.5mm² twin and earth.
Have you established that the donor socket is on a ring final ,and is not a spur itself ? What circuit is it ?

Hi, i haven't as yet. I will do the multi function meter testing when I go round after lock down. Farther inlaws barn.

I will use 2.5mm twin and earth then

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Put the fused spur unit close to the socket, that way you only need maybe 150 mm or less of T&E. Is it a single socket in which case change the box to a dual box and have the fused spur and socket in the same box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back