2.5mm from fused spur to ceiling rose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have wired some 1.5mm 3 core SY flex from an existing socket to a new double socket in my shed, and I have used this same cable from the new socket to a fused spur.

I have then used some 2.5mm 3 core from the spur to a ceiling rose.

The fused spur came with a 32a fuse installed which I'm led to believe needs downgrading to a 5a fuse.

I was wondering if there would be any problems using 2.5mm in front of the 1.5mm? It works fine but I thought I would check.

Any yes it was a bitch to terminate!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is the fuse rating for the socket circuit?

1.5mm² cable is usually too small for socket circuits.

What is this fused spur you refer to? They are only available to maximum of 13A, so you must have something else.

2.5mm² will be a sod to terminate, and may not be possible at all depending on the fitting(s)

You should have used the 2.5mm² for the sockets, and the 1.5mm² for the lighting.

Have you properly terminated and earthed the armour on the SY flex?

Sorry, I meant to say 13A on the fused spur, not 32A.

At the existing socket end I have wired the 1.5mm 3 core cable to a plug, so really it's just like an extension cable.

I went for the 1.5mm as a standard 1.25mm extension reel would do everything I need so thought 2.5mm would be overkill...

Hi everyone,

I have wired some 1.5mm 3 core SY flex from an existing socket to a new double socket in my shed,
Why SY flex?

Where is the cable running which makes you think you need SY?

I have then used some 2.5mm 3 core from the spur to a ceiling rose.
You don't have a clue, do you.

I was wondering if there would be any problems using 2.5mm in front of the 1.5mm? It works fine but I thought I would check.
Do the makers of the ceiling rose say you may use 2.5mm² cable?

At the existing socket end I have wired the 1.5mm 3 core cable to a plug, so really it's just like an extension cable.
Is it?

You can, and do, disconnect it at both ends, roll it up and put it away when you're not actively using it, do you?

Sponsored Links
I don't think this is unsafe, as it's fused through a 13A plug.

normally you would run 2.5mm from a socket, to the fused spur with a 3 or 5A fuse and then 1.0mm or 1.5mm T&E to the rose & switch.

Would there be any problems in using a 3A or 5A fuse in the spur, using the 2.5mm between the ceiling rose and the spur?

Thanks.

Other than the use of 2.5mm² conductors in a rose - if it's not made for them it might be damaged/dangerous.

Why are you so keen to use an inappropriate cable?

And what about the SY? Why did you use that?

I used the 2.5mm as I got 10meters for free so I thought I'd use it.

I used SY as the cable runs along a small garden wall, it's out of sight and harms way but I wanted it to have some protection without the hassle of terminating SWA.

I was afraid of that.

If you need SWA you need SWA - SY is NOT a substitute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back