Advice for new ring main please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a qualified electrician to install a new RCD box, but to save cash, I am preparing the new ring main ready for him to check and sign off… but I have a few questions…

I have two ends of the 2.5mm 3 core running around the room ending by the RCD box, I want to spur a fused switch for electric heater, spur a fused switch for the boiler, spur a outside plug and spur 6 under kitchen cupboard lights off it as well… so the questions are:-

•I can only have one spur off a socket is this the best way?
•If I run 2.5mm into the socket does it have to be 2.5mm out as a spur into the fused switch?
•Do I have to insulate the earth in side the back box of the socket?
•Can I run 1.5mm 6 light ring off a spur as well?

Cheers

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Mist All-Crucking Fighty...

Firstly, if this room is a kitchen (sounds like it) & it involves installing a new circuit, this will be notifiable.

Second, you are asking VERY basic questions about wiring practices & have already made some classic DIY errors. Are you up to the job?

Think about this. You are going to ALL the trouble of installing a brand new circuit, a ring final, no less.

PUT ALL ACCESSORIES ON THE RING!!

Don't install any spurs, please...

What's the total lighting load? If significant, while you're at installing 2 x 2.5mm² cables for the ring, install another cable at the same time for the lights.

if not, run the lighting from an FCU. BUT DO NOT SPUR IT, DO IT ALL AS A RING!!!

I'm going to change my name....to BAS

Ban All Spurs...

I've got a problem with my spurs, the stitching seems to have rotted round the buckles where I've oiled the straps, do you know where I can get suitable thread to repair them?

I've got a problem with my spurs, the stitching seems to have rotted round the buckles where I've oiled the straps, do you know where I can get suitable thread to repair them?

:D :LOL: Have you tryed Cowboys R Us :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Firstly, if this room is a kitchen this will be notifiable.

Second, you are asking VERY basic questions about wiring practices & have already made some classic DIY errors. Are you up to the job?

What's the total lighting load? If significant, while you're at installing 2 x 2.5mm² cables for the ring, install another cable at the same time for the lights. if not, run the lighting from an FCU. BUT DO NOT SPUR IT, DO IT ALL AS A RING!!!

Yes it is for a kitchen, we have a 5x3m lean to at back of the house, which we are putting the kitchen in, money is very tight so i have to learn how to do everything and then get the pro in to sign off...

The questions may sound basic to you, but i am only asking to be sure...

I was going to instal another ring for the lights, but thought it would be easier to spur them off a FCU...

So what your saying is include the FCU's in the ring, ok that makes sense...

Cheers

i have to learn how to do everything and then get the pro in to sign off...

Are you expecting the pro to sign an installation certificate for work that you have done? I would be suprised to see that!

You can get an installation report done which is something completely different, and may even assess the installation as unsatisfactory at the end of it.

And even in the unlikely even that he does sign the I&T part of an EIC, who is going to sign the parts for design and installation?

And, Helpahomer, are you aware that you doing the work and "getting a pro in to sign it off" is not how you comply with the Building Regs concerning notifiable work? If you know, and don't care, that's fine, but don't make the mistake of thinking that your plans will comply with the law - they won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back