Running a spur for wall lighting off of ring mains.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I need to run a spur from a two gang socket to accommodate wall lighting. Could you please tell me exactly how this is done. The spur will run directly into a switched fused connection. Also how many wall lights may I be able to use and am I right in saying that the spur is run in 2.5mm T&E mains cable and lighting from the socket in 1.5mm T&E cable. Thanks, Charlie.

Sponsored Links
The lighting cable does not need to be 1.5mm, 1.0mm is OK and easier and cheaper.

Could you please tell me exactly how this is done.
A little difficult inform you exactly how it should be done, but will offer some pointers.
You will require to route cable in the permitted safe zones, it is very likely that any buried cable unless mechanically protected will require 30mA RCD protection if not already existing circuit. Ideally once installed the circuit should be commissioned via a electrical installation or a minor works certificate.
Looking in Wiki may give you some valuable information!
The spur will run directly into a switched fused connection.
That is fine
Also how many wall lights may I be able to use and am I right in saying that the spur is run in 2.5mm T&E mains cable and lighting from the socket in 1.5mm T&E cable.
The number of wall lights would depend on the fuse placed within the FCU, the simple calculation would be say you fitted a 5A fuse and each lamp was rated at 40 watts you could have 28 lamps.

You could run 2.5mm2 T&E or 1.5mm2 T&E between the socket and FCU, then from there either 1.5mm2 T&E or 1.00mm2 T&E

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back