Clarification on cables in block and partition walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Can you please clarify the position as far as cables buried in either block or partition walls and mechanical protection. I have searched through the forum but have found some conflicting info.

Scenario1:
13A ring sockets (2.5mm T&E), 13A Fused spurs(2.5mm T&E), 5A lighting switch or Oven/Hob cable(6mm T&E) put into channels running vertically down from the ceiling to each connection plate, walls are soft breezeblock. Circuit may run horizontally from socket to socket.
Wall then covered in dot'n'dab plasterboard and skimmed.

Scenario2:
Standard 75mm or 100mm stud wall with plasterboard and skim. 13A ring sockets (2.5mm T&E) or 5A lighting switches

Sponsored Links
I have done some more searching and come up with this:-

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/Pocket Guide 6.pdf

From my understanding of this, I do not need to fit any type of capping or mechanical protection as long as I run within the permitted zones, even if the cable is less than 50mm from the surface.

Am I correct?

Obviously it makes sense to use a plastic top hat capping over the cable before plastering and a plastic conduit in the partition walls just to make changing cables easier.

just use oval condiut for both much easier

if you have a copy of the Regs then look at 522-06-06

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back