Outdoor sockets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been asked by a friend if it's possible to wire up a double and a single socket in their back garden.
I was going to run a 2.5mm T&E from a double socket inside to a 30mA RCD adjacent to the inside socket then run a 2.5mm T&E through the wall from the RCD to the outside double socket. Then run a 2.5mm two core armoured cable from this newly fixed double socket under a doorway to a single socket around 10 feet away. Is this all ok?
Also do i need to use a RCD or would a 13A FCU for isolation be sufficient as the ring circuit I'm using is already protected by a 30mA RCD?
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Sponsored Links
You would not need to use an RCD fused spur if the ring is already connected.

You must use a fused spur as you are spurring to more than one socket.

I assume you know how to gland the SWA correctly, and will be earthing the armour using the banjos with the glands?

Disclaimer:

I also assume you are aware that this work does come under Part P of the Building Regulations, and as such you are required to inform Building Control of your intentions, or use an Electrician who can self-certify his own work.

Thanks for your quick response.
I've never used SWA but i am going to find the correct way and do the job safely. Have you any good websites etc that will help me?
I also know I have to inform building control of the work which I will do. I'm trying to learn the trade and the best way for me is to do the research myself through forums like this than just get an electrician in to do the work. I seem to learn more. I just want to do a safe job and do it correctly.
Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
Sorry been away this week.

You must use a fused spur as you are spurring to more than one socket.

Lectrician, can you clarify a couple of things please?

I can spur to two sockets if I use a FCU? If so what is the maximum number of sockets i can spur from one point via a FCU?

Also, If I was only spurring to one socket I wouldn't need to use a FCU? Even outdoors?

I'm sorry to be a pain but I just like to be 100% when learning!
[/quote]

I've never used SWA but i am going to find the correct way and do the job safely. Have you any good websites etc that will help me?
There's a guide here: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/armoured1.htm

Not sure about cutting each armour strand like that, but what you will find is that when you've got the glands in your hands (oo-err missus) it'll be a lot clearer how they work, so get more cable than you need, cut off a length and practice preparing and terminating it.

And consider using Piranha nuts rather than the banjos.

I can spur to two sockets if I use a FCU?
Yes.

If so what is the maximum number of sockets i can spur from one point via a FCU?
No maximum, but you probably wouldn't want to do more than half a dozen, just from the POV of what are you going to use them all for, and how many can you sensibly use with a 13A limit?.

Also, If I was only spurring to one socket I wouldn't need to use a FCU? Even outdoors?
Outdoors introduces the need for RCDs, not FCUs.

Thanks for the advice and link. I've read through the link and it seems straight forward but, as you say, i need to practice. Going to my second home today (Screwfix!!) to pick up some gear to practice on. (10% off weekend in Cardiff - FANTASTIC!)

Thanks again.

one important thing to remember is don't have too much exposed armour when fitting the gland, you really need the cable sheath to hold the end of the armour stable or you will have a hell of a time getting the gland to grip it. also if the gland is a CW the exposed armour needs to be short so the seal can grip the outer sheath correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back