outside sockets with inside switchs

Ah, ok. ... I suppose I'm just used to doing it and not thinking there may be occasions when someone unfamiliar with the work may wrongly site an RCD FCU a long way from a socket necessitating needless discretion.
Fair enough. We do sometimes see people here being told that it is OK for the FCU of a fused spur to be a 'reasonable distance' from the origin of the spur (which is true in terms of protection of the cable against overcurrent) - but that is a situation in which the issue we've been discussing might possibly arise, if it's going to have to be an RCD FCU because of what is downstream of it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think you are stretching things.

We do sometimes see people here being told that it is OK for the FCU of a fused spur to be a 'reasonable distance' from the origin of the spur (which is true in terms of protection of the cable against overcurrent) - but that is NOT a situation in which the issue we've been discussing might possibly arise,
If an FCU is to be fitted for a flex connection then that is now true.

if it's going to have to be an RCD FCU because of what is downstream of it.
If that downstream thing is a socket or concealed cable then the RCD FCU would not be fitted anywhere other than at the origin of the spur.

I think you are stretching things. ... If an FCU is to be fitted for a flex connection then that is now true.
I'm a bit confused. For a start, the context of this thread is the use of an FCU (maybe an RCD FCU) to feed sockets. However, even if the FCU were for a 'flex connection', a 'reasonable length' of new buried cable (not mechanically protected) between the origin of the spur and the FCU would still strictly need RCD protection, wouldn't it? I'm also not too sure what you mean by "now true".
If that downstream thing is a socket or concealed cable then the RCD FCU would not be fitted anywhere other than at the origin of the spur.
That's what we're talking about, but I don't agree that what you say would always be the case, since it might be more convenient to site the FCU some distance from the 'origin' of the spur - and, as I said, we tell people (correctly), that from the point of view of over-current protection, that is OK. Nor is it hypothetical - I have at least a couple of examples in my house of this happening. Given that the final circuits in question are already RCD protected, there isn't any issue for me regarding the ('buried') cable between ring and FCU, but if the circuit were not RCD protected, there could/would be, couldn't there?

Kind Regards, John

Too many ifs and buts, really, however:

I think you are stretching things. ... If an FCU is to be fitted for a flex connection then that is now true.
I'm a bit confused. For a start, the context of this thread is the use of an FCU (maybe an RCD FCU) to feed sockets. However, even if the FCU were for a 'flex connection', a 'reasonable length' of new buried cable (not mechanically protected) between the origin of the spur and the FCU would still strictly need RCD protection, wouldn't it?
Yes, so it would be placed at the origin.

I'm also not too sure what you mean by "now true".
My 'now' refered to your quote after I inserted the 'not' which, in my view made it more appropriate.

That's what we're talking about, but I don't agree that what you say would always be the case, since it might be more convenient to site the FCU some distance from the 'origin' of the spur
But if that were new concealed cable it would require an RCD at the origin.
If not, then it doesn't matter.

and, as I said, we tell people (correctly), that from the point of view of over-current protection, that is OK.
Precisely.

Nor is it hypothetical - I have at least a couple of examples in my house of this happening. Given that the final circuits in question are already RCD protected, there isn't any issue for me regarding the ('buried') cable between ring and FCU, but if the circuit were not RCD protected, there could/would be, couldn't there?
Yes, but it is so it could.

We don't/didn't know if the OP's is/wasn RCD protected but if it isn't/wasn't then the RCD FCU will have to be at the origin.

For a spur for a couple of sockets to be installed it would be silly to site the RCD FCU anywhere other than at the origin.

Sponsored Links
... even if the FCU were for a 'flex connection', a 'reasonable length' of new buried cable (not mechanically protected) between the origin of the spur and the FCU would still strictly need RCD protection, wouldn't it?
Yes, so it would be placed at the origin.
Ideally, yes - but, as I said, that might not be a 'convenient' place to site the FCU - in which case any buried cable between the 'origin' and the FCU would theoretically need RCD protection.
But if that were new concealed cable it would require an RCD at the origin.
Exactly my point. If, for whatever reason, it is not 'convenient' to site an RCD FCU 'at the origin' of the spur, then, far from being 'ideal', the RCD FCU would not be an appropriate solution. There would have to be an RCD either at or upstream of the origin of the spur - RCD protecting the entire final circuit, at/near the CU, might then be the simplest solution.
For a spur for a couple of sockets to be installed it would be silly to site the RCD FCU anywhere other than at the origin.
Maybe silly in terms of trying to comply with regulations but, as I have said, it could be that the origin might not be a 'convenient' location for an RCD FCU (particularly if, as I think was the intent of the OP in this thread, one wanted to use the FCU's switch 'functionally'), in which case RCD protecting the entire final circuit might be the most sensible option.

Kind Regards, John

Ideally, yes - but, as I said, that might not be a 'convenient' place to site the FCU - in which case any buried cable between the 'origin' and the FCU would theoretically need RCD protection.
Yes.

Exactly my point. If, for whatever reason, it is not 'convenient' to site an RCD FCU 'at the origin' of the spur, then, far from being 'ideal', the RCD FCU would not be an appropriate solution. There would have to be an RCD either at or upstream of the origin of the spur - RCD protecting the entire final circuit, at/near the CU, might then be the simplest solution.
At the CU - yes, easiest and protects all sockets.

Maybe silly in terms of trying to comply with regulations but, as I have said, it could be that the origin might not be a 'convenient' location for an RCD FCU (particularly if, as I think was the intent of the OP in this thread, one wanted to use the FCU's switch 'functionally'), in which case RCD protecting the entire final circuit might be the most sensible option.
I agree that at the CU is better but it could be done with RCD FCU(s) at the socket and switches for functionallity.
This would also look better (assuming it may be a living room).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back