FUSED SPURS IN KITCHEN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a kitchen makeover and want to move sockets, install spurs etc.

My fridge and freezer are currently plugged into sockets inside the base units which are not very accesible. I want to install a fused spur taken from a double socket on the wall under the wall units and then run cable down the wall from the fcu to behind the fridge and freezer into a double socket and plug the fridge and freezer into the double socket, that way i can switch them off easily if needed. Is this ok to have only 1 13amp fused spur to feed a double socket for the fridge and freezer, would it trip?

Or would I be better taking a spur from double socket on the wall and feeding 2 fcu's leading down to 2 single sockets? Or would it be better connecting the 2 fcu's as part of the ring circuit to feed 2 single sockets which while I am moving everything else which would not cause much more work?

Cheers for the help :D

Sponsored Links
A fridge and freezer will be fine on one 13a.

Make sure it doesn't get switched off accidentally.

If it were a washing machine and dishwasher you would want seperate and single sockets as you say

Or would I be better taking a spur from double socket on the wall and feeding 2 fcu's leading down to 2 single sockets?
That is not permitted - a spur can only supply one FCU.

Or would it be better connecting the 2 fcu's as part of the ring circuit to feed 2 single sockets which while I am moving everything else which would not cause much more work?
That is permitted, and is a better solution. So is the single FCU and a double socket after it.

Alternatively you could have a 20A switch controlling a double socket which will avoid having 2 fuses for one appliance.

Or just keep the sockets in the cupboards - switching the freezer off is probably a once a year thing or less.

flameport";p="3072508 said:
Or would I be better taking a spur from double socket on the wall and feeding
Alternatively you could have a 20A switch controlling a double socket which will avoid having 2 fuses for one appliance.

Or have an FCU above the worktop and a flex outlet plate behind the appliance

Or just keep the sockets in the cupboards - switching the freezer off is probably a once a year thing or less.
Agreed. I have lost count of the number of times that I have been called out because the freezer, extractor hood, etc doesnt work. When i get on site I find someone has banged a tray into the FCU and switched it off.
A nice easy call out fee for me, those ones!

Sponsored Links
Starting two motors with a single switch can create problems due to the start up currents of the two motors combining and overloading the breaker enough to trip it. The voltage drop due to the start up currents can result in slower acceleration in the motors and thus longer duration start up currents thus more likely to trip a breaker.

There are combined fridge freezers which manage ok. Unless this is an American sized one.

Anyway I think we all agree having a work top switch isn't a very good idea.

There are combined fridge freezers which manage ok. Unless this is an American sized one
Some of these combined units have only one compressor for the freezer. The fridge is chilled only by fan blown air taken from the freezer cavity. The fridge thermostat controls the fan and maybe an air control flap. That was the system in the American item we had.

Starting two motors with a single switch can create problems due to the start up currents of the two motors combining and overloading the breaker enough to trip it.
That's theoretically true, but it's also a theoretical risk even if they do not have a common switch. All the common switch does is to create a situation in which both motors will start up simultaneously when the switch is operated ('once in a blue moon') - and, even then, it's probably pretty unlikely that an OPD will operate. Once both appliances are operating, it is pure chance as to whether their respective thermostats will cause both motors to fire up simultaneously, but it is bound to happen from time to time, regardless of the switching arrangements.

There must be millions of examples of two refrigeration appliances powered by the same circuit, and I have to say that I've never heard of this resulting in an OPD operating when the circuit is energised. I'm tempted to suggest that the issue you have raised is a 'theoretical irrelevance' :)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the advice, they are 2 separate units, not a single fridge freezer. I really do want to have a switch above the counter to be able to turn them off.

So would it be better with a single fcu wired as part of the ring circuit controlling 1 double socket behind the fridge and freezer or 2 fcu's (part of the ring) controlling 2 single sockets behind the fridge and freezer? Or would 1 or 2 dp switch(es) be better and having 1 double or 2 singles behind the fridge and freezer?

cheers

stuart

The choice is yours. It depends on if you want to individually switch on and off the fridge and the freezer, or if you just want them to defrost both together, perhaps when you dont expect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back