wiring question

Sponsored Links
Launter, sorry to carry this on,

"You can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much."

And before you come down on me like a ton of bricks, I'm from the Broad Acres myself.

There is a lot of good advice on this forum from the pros and a lot of common sense talked by well meaning amateurs.

Surely the sensible thing to do is to read the various opinions expressed and then make your own mind up what you are competent and safe to do.

Professionals defending their corner is nothing new - the Guilds did this in medieval times and people who like to do things on the cheap aren't new either - the trick is to get things in proportion.

Some posts from pros sound a bit like Mr Blair telling us he is making the roads safer by nicking people for doing 32mph in the middle of the night and not just making money on the quiet, similarly some of the posts from amateurs are equally arrogant.

A bit of give and take goes a long way in life.

I have 3 degrees and Daddy bought me a pony

Dumbass in this country you can get an education without having money and I certainly had none,I wasn't given any to go to university either or given encouragement to get a decent education but I still did it. Came out with 36000 debt.

here is a lot of good advice on this forum from the pros and a lot of common sense talked by well meaning amateurs. The trick is to get things in proportion

True, but I was starting to feel the balance was a little skew whiff so this was just a little reminder to those who need taking down a peg or two, anyway enough said.Thankyou and goodnight

If I tell people on this forum to "get a sparky in" it's because they are obviously not capable of doing what they are asking..

I am capable of soldering and brazing pipes but I am not allowed to touch any GAS work in my own home because it is potentially dangerous if done wrong.
I can do all the water pipes I like because it's not lethal if done wrong ( maybe hazardous if a central heating pipe joint burts though.. )
I don't expect a gas fitter to tell me how to do something that I'm not able to do and ignore the CORGI rules..

Like wise your average Joe can change a light switch in his house even though it can be just as dangerous if done wrong..

Part P is designed to try to ensure that the really dangerous stuff is taken out of the hands of people who haven't a clue what to do, or to make sure that those that do know how to do it are doing it right..

I personally think that all domestic electrical work should be made illegal unless done by a qualified and registered electrician.. same as gas can only be done by CORGI registered plumbers..

this does not include me as I am an industrial electrician so it is in no way making work for myself.

Sponsored Links
fetty said:
Would it be better to extend the spur socket and fit a double socket near appliances (running cable along skirting) or run a double extention cable from fridge & freezer to single socket in cupboard?

Thanks for the reply's :eek:
I've had an electrician out and it's going to cost loads as my water pipes are not earthed, so is plugging an extension in for both appliances a better option?

thanks

fetty said:
I've had an electrician out and it's going to cost loads as my water pipes are not earthed, so is plugging an extension in for both appliances a better option?

No it's not a better option... Using extension leads to avoid the issue that your installation lacks main bonding is crazy. If you don't want to pay the extra your electrician is charging, then install the main bonding yourself (it's not notifiable work so there's no problem.)

Chri5 wrote

The law will catch up, Part P and the HIP requirements are a marriage that will allow a potential new owner to insist that the required paperwork is in place for declared improvements.

Like hell it will. :evil:
Why ? Because my home will never have any potential new owners and when it does I will be dead and gone. (If it aint burnt down before that and if it is I shall just build a new one as I am conseeeedrabily reeecher that most on here)
Unless the current dictatorship we are living under at present decide to implement further legislation than will infinge my human rights regarding doing what I want, when I want in my own home.
So you lot can go shove your regs where the sun dont shine. :D

Taylortwocities said:
I can't belive it, Mr Balenza lights blue touch paper and has retired from the scene.
Cool it guys, I wonder how the OP is getting on??

Hey, Im back Taylor to fan the flames and burn your ooh so precious regs. ;)

Balenza said:
I am conseeeedrabily reeecher that most on here

How can you possibly know that?

And how insecure (or plain snobbish) of you to have to feel the need to state this...

To go back to your argument, you are missing the point entirely.

We don't always say "get an electrician". Only when it is painfully obvious the posters do not possess the knowledge to carry out a safe job.

We obviously recognise that folk can still carry out work on their installations as long as they comply with certain criteria. Indeed, open your eyes and you will find many here who will stick up for the DIY'ers right to carry out their own electrical work.

If we were not accepting of the above, then we would not be here offering advice.

Chri5 said:
You've been told......... :rolleyes:

Yes, yes,yes. Chickin Lickin (AKA Chris) has told us the sky's about to fall in...

The fact is that since part P came in just a handful of cowboys have been done (and rightly so) but not one DIYer.

Of course, the legislation had to include DIYers along with cowboys. But notification is not a hanging offence and a DIYer is almost impossible for anyone to catch. The cowboy gets caught because his customer complains. Who's going to complain about the DIYer? Who can call foul when the DIYer, if he's caught, says it was a bloke from the pub wot done it?

As for HIPs, well, the home condition report was dropped a year ago.

Securespark wrote

To go back to your argument, you are missing the point entirely.
We don't always say "get an electrician". Only when it is painfully obvious the posters do not possess the knowledge to carry out a safe job

Pardon my farmyard language but "cock and bull", but perhaps your right as I see very little point in what you've just written. How are you supposed to get the knowledge in the first place, imbibition ? Thats what DIY is about, learning to do things for yourself. Surely the beginners should be given MORE advice than the people who are experienced, not have it withheld !! Your comment "what do the instructions say" which was the advice you gave so sarcastically for my electrical problem was (unfortuantely for you) actually helpful as i did manage to get some off the supplier in the end. Perhaps you should give phoenix whirlpools a ring and tell them only to give out instructions to people who already know how to do it ! There maybe nothing wrong with saying get an electrcian but not if its accompanied by an attitude and that is the only advice given !!

Yes you are clearly perfectly reasonable. Only give advice when it is painfully obvious the posters DO possess the knowledge to carry out a safe job and to the rest just make sarcastic comments. Yes perfectly reasonable. You clearly have diy'ers interests at heart. Or perhaps you are a little
insecure?

My god, I've also noticed you also live in Cheshire, the same as me. I'll definately not be hiring an electrican, I might get you and then I'll have to add you to the number of "professionals" that have messed up my house.

ColJack said:
I don't expect a gas fitter to tell me how to do something that I'm not able to do and ignore the CORGI rules.
To be picky, the CORGI rules apply only to CORGI members - in no circumstances do they apply to DIYers.

I personally think that all domestic electrical work should be made illegal unless done by a qualified and registered electrician.. same as gas can only be done by CORGI registered plumbers.
The latter certainly isn't a true statement, so does this remove the basis for you believing that all DIY electrical work should be illegal?

Balenza said:
Chri5 wrote

The law will catch up, Part P and the HIP requirements are a marriage that will allow a potential new owner to insist that the required paperwork is in place for declared improvements.

Like hell it will. :evil:
Why ? Because my home will never have any potential new owners and when it does I will be dead and gone. (If it aint burnt down before that and if it is I shall just build a new one as I am conseeeedrabily reeecher that most on here)
Unless the current dictatorship we are living under at present decide to implement further legislation than will infinge my human rights regarding doing what I want, when I want in my own home.
So you lot can go shove your regs where the sun dont shine. :D

There not OUR regulations, there everyone's :rolleyes:

Your cunning plan to stay where you live for life is a great way to avoid detection, possibly the only way.

Personally I'd rather (if I was a DIYer rather than a electrician) pay the fee's at the LBC and add value to my property works. Very much like cars, if paperwork showing history, MOT tests, material additions are available for one of two cars that are identical- Which one would you buy?

Same applies to housing, so when they decide to build a new treatment works (for all the excrement you write) adjacent to your property don't be surprised if a keen buyer asks for warranty and test / cert paperwork for all the work you've done.

Stoday wrote
As for HIPs, well, the home condition report was dropped a year ago.

Indeed it was, but electrical was never going to be done via the condition report element of a HIP.

Within the HIP paperwork (due 1 Aug) there are sections that cover recent change to the property.

So if you've had:-

New Glazing- Fensa cert required
New Heating- Corgi cert required
New Electrical- Part P compliance required

If you haven't got the paperwork, it's no better than saying you have an MOT on a car, but haven't got the certificate.

Uncertificated, means no material gain to the property value for the work, end of. This is the sting in the tail that the Gov and LBC will encourage, if they didn't, well the regs would be ignored by everyone other than a few dummies within this thread :eek:

Part P, Part P. HIP, HIP, HIP
this is starting to get a little boring.

Yes, correct but this can still be done by the DIY'er.

DIY DIY DIY DIY DIY

DI clucking Y

Chri5 wrote

Same applies to housing, so when they decide to build a new treatment works (for all the excrement you write) adjacent to your property don't be surprised if a keen buyer asks for warranty and test / cert paperwork for all the work you've done.

As it happens their are a few large pits near my home for storing material of the anal kind.
Though I doubt if they are large enough to hold all the carp you write. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back